Makerere University has started the search process for the next Vice Chancellor at the oldest public university in Uganda.
This is being done by a five member Search committee chaired by Hon. Irene Ovonji Odida.
Other members on the committee include:
- Mr. Bruce B. Kabaasa
- Dr. Betty Ezati
- Dr. Frank Mwine
- Prof. Joseph Y.T. Mugisha.
Hon. Ovonji Odida said during the Press Conference held on Wednesday 12th April 2017 that the committee is ready to complete the search process within a period of three months.
“Makerere University Council approved guidelines on Tuesday 11th April 2017. We have started our work. We are officially opening the search process that will take three months; we envision concluding the process before the term of the current Vice Chancellor ends,” she said.
The five year contract for the current Vice Chancellor, Prof. John Ddumba-Ssentamu will be coming to an end on 31st August 2017.
The next Vice Chancellor to be appointed at the oldest public university i Uganda will serve from 2017-2022.
The Vice Chancellor is responsible for the academic, administrative and financial affairs of the University, and in the absence of the Chancellor, preside at ceremonial assemblies of the University and confer degrees and other academic titles and distinctions of the University.
Section 31(4) of the Universities and Other Tertiary Institutions Act stipulates that the Vice Chancellor shall be appointed on terms and conditions determined by the University Council for five years and shall be eligible for reappointment for one more term.
For a candidate to be eligible for nomination, he/she must;
- Have PhD/ academic doctorate from a recognized academic institution
- Be more than 40 years and below 65 years of age at the time of application
- Must have a proven track record of academic management including supervision of graduate students and research.
- At least five years of teaching experience at the rank of Associate Professor or equivalent in a reputable institution with excellent track record of research of at least 10 peer reviewed publications.
- At least 10 years of working experience at Senior Management position, four of which must have been served at the minimum level of Dean of School/Faculty or its equivalent in a reputable public or private institution with excellent track record in management, leadership, and building winning teams.
- Have a high level of integrity, be team player with excellent public relations and communication skills.
- Proven /demonstrated high level of experience in networking, resource mobilization and preparation of grant winning proposals. He/she should have knowledge and proven experience in engaging with international partners
- Proven experience in national, regional and/or international policy development in higher education.
- Thorough knowledge of structural, legislative and regulatory framework for management of higher education in Uganda.
- Good knowledge of public financial management and strategic planning.