The East African Community (EAC) is the regional intergovernmental organization of the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, the Republic of Rwanda and the Republic of Burundi with its headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania. The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments.
Job Summary: The EAC Accountant – Accounts Payable will be responsible for carrying out accounting, reconciliatory, custodial tasks related to the efficient maintenance and processing of accounts payable transactions.
Key Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Raise/review system generated Debit Notes for unutilized services to suppliers (such as for tickets to Travel Agents, etc.) and follow up to receive the requested credit notes;
- Receive/review Credit Notes from suppliers with all the relevant attachments like Debit Note issued, Invoices, copies of LPOs, etc.;
- Intuitively review journals resulting from matching in the system all invoices, credit notes,… received, generate Payment vouchers and forward the prepared payment to the respective Finance Officers for verification and cheques writing;
- Work closely with Procurement Department to determine the details of all Committed LPOs in the commitment Ledger;
- Liaise and follow up with suppliers to request for invoices for payment for goods/services consumed;
- Reconcile/reviewing accounts payable transactions in the suppliers accounts;
- Research and resolve invoice discrepancies and issues raised by suppliers;
- Work closely with vendors and respond to inquiries raised;
- Maintain vendor/suppliers files clearly indicating the serialization or other form of filing;
- Offer supporting documentation for audits with regard to the Suppliers/Accounts Payables Accounts;
- Send monthly Aging Reports for all Suppliers to determine the period it takes to make payments to suppliers;
- Send a monthly Reconciliation Report for all suppliers for all projects;
- Review VAT claims and follow-up VAT refund requests from the Revenue Authorities;
- Reconcile VAT ledger, VAT Claims and Refunds received;
- Send a monthly report on VAT Refund Receivable;
- Drill down and reconcile the Commitment Ledger for all legitimate Commitment balances;
- Recommend for cancellation of the erroneous commitments in the Commitment Ledger and/or the Suppliers/Payables Accounts;
- Maintain listing of accounts payables;
- Perform any other related tasks that may be assigned by the Senior Accountant.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience needed for the job:
- The ideal candidate for the East African Community (EAC) vacancy should hold a Bachelor’s degree in Commerce, Business Administration with specialization in Finance/Accounting or equivalent qualification from a recognised university
- Professional certification in any of the following: Chartered Accountant (ACCA/ACA), Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or equivalent.
- Five or more years’ post qualification experience
- Excellent communications skills (verbal, writing and presenting);
- Strong interpersonal skills and proven ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Past exposure and experience in using computerised accounting packages
How to Apply for the job:
All citizens of the East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Rwanda, Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda) are invited to by submitting their applications, detailed curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic certificates, and names and contact details of three referees.
NB: Please quote the respective reference number on both on the application letter and envelope. For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Please also Note:
You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
The complete applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; or have an application letter attached; have certified copies of academic certificates; or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
Send hard copies to:
Executive Selection Division
Deloitte Consulting Limited
10th Floor PPF Tower
Cnr of Ohio Street & Garden Avenue:
P O Box 1559 Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania
Fax +255(22) 2116379
E-mail to: email@example.com
Deadline: Monday, 10th November 2014.