52 of the graduates were luzira inmates who graduated with diplomas and certificates in business and entrepreneurship management.
At the same function, General Salim Saleh delivered a commencement lecture under the topic “Creating employment and wealth through agriculture as a business”.
The Presidential adviser on military affairs advised education institutions to start training students with relevant practical skills needed for the current job market to overcome graduate unemployment.
He wondered why agriculture which can create a number of jobs for Ugandans is not prioritized as a subject at lower educational levels.
“How do you expect graduates to take on agriculture when you have not skilled them, agriculture is not a key subject at Primary level and it is not compulsory at secondary level; so how can one get interested after graduating? ….. I have no kind words for Uganda’s education system”, said Salim Sale.
The graduation function that was presided over by Prof. Mondo Kagonyera, the Chancellor Makerere University saw best performing students awarded with cash prizes.
The best performers at MUBS 10th graduation included:
- Okumu Moses, Master of Banking & Investment Mgt with CGPA of 4.77
- Kiconco Michelle, Master of Business Administration with 4.66
- Kizito Gerald, PGD in Project Planning and Mgt 4.56
- Nakawoya Fatuma, PGD in ICT Policy and Regulation 4.75
Sewante Luke, Bachelor of Leadership & Governance 4.81
- Nabatanzi Racheal, Bachelor of Commerce 4.72
- Ntanda Ibrahim, Diploma in Business Administration 4.96
- Kanakulya Shafulah, Diploma in Accounting and Finance 4.57
- Oliga Moses, Certificate in Business Administration 5.00
- Nambozo Janet, Certificate in Business Administration 4.78
You can watch the video below showing the proceeding and the speech delivered by the principal of Makerere University Business School (MUBS), Prof. Waswa Balunywa at the 10th graduation ceremony.