Organisation : Marie Stopes
Position: Clinical Officer
Deadline : 14th November 2018
Duty Station: Uganda (Various)
Working hand in hand with and reporting to the Centre Manager, the Clinical Officer’s main role is to maintain the high clinical standards expected by MSI and actively work to promote the smooth running of the centre and contribute to improved financial performance.
The Clinical Officer is required to demonstrate MS-UG’s core values of:
- Client Centred: dedicated to our clients and work tirelessly to deliver high quality, high impact services that meet clients’ individual requirements.
- Courageous: Have the courage to push boundaries, make tough decisions and challenge others in line with our mission.
- Mission Driven: With unwavering commitment, we exist to empower women and men to have children by choice, not chance.
- Accountable: Ownership of our actions and focus on results, ensuring long term sustainability and increasing the impact of the Partnership.
Reporting to: Center Manager
Probationary Period: 3 months
Marie Stopes Uganda is an NGO registered in Uganda. We are affiliated to Marie Stopes International. Together we deliver post abortion care, quality sexual and reproductive health care and family planning to millions of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable women. We want to make sure that women have a choice when it comes to having children and that death by unsafe abortion is reduced.
The primary responsibility of this role is to further our Goal: THE PREVENTION OF UNWANTED BIRTHS and its mission of ensuring the individual’s right to: CHILDREN BY CHOICE NOT CHANCE
1. Client Care
- Provide comprehensive client counselling on reproductive health and other health matters.
- Take necessary steps to ensure that all centre clients are treated with sensitivity, respect, and consideration.
- If complaints are raised, be able to effectively manage and resolve them.
- Promptly refer complaints that persist or of serious magnitude to the centre manager for management.
- Ensure that client confidentiality is maintained.
2. Budgetary Control
In partnership with the centre manager,
- Carefully monitor medical stock supplies required and utilised at the centre for maximum efficiency.
- Take steps to ensure that medical supplies are adequate, but not excessive.
- Take responsibility to ensure that costs are contained within the approved annual budget.
- Strive for income from services to meet or exceed set targets.
3. Technical Excellence
- Based on client history, examination, laboratory test reports and findings and above all client needs, prescribe appropriate drugs.
- Perform appropriate procedures that including Intravenous Therapy, Tubal Ligation, Vasectomy, Norplant, IUD insertion, Pap smear, MVA procedure and VCT.
- Ensure responsible follow up and treatment of complications.
- Follow the Ugandan Clinical Guidelines for appropriate management of most conditions and illnesses.
- Refer complicated conditions to a hospital for further management.
- Ensure that the highest standards of reproductive health and general clinical services (including HIV/AIDS services) are achieved, as laid down in the Marie Stopes Partnership Manual.
- In collaboration with the centre manager, ensure that the centre complies with MSI policies and protocols for vocal local, infection prevention and emergency preparedness (including resuscitation).
4. Record Keeping and Reporting
In collaboration with the Centre Manager;
- Ensure that all company/corporate clients claim forms are duly completed and signed by you immediately after treatment of each individual client.
- Ensure that all claim forms are checked for errors and correctness before submissions to SO.
- Ensure that SO reporting and record keeping guidelines for all clients are adhered to.
5. Promotional and External relations Activities
In consultation with Centre Manager,
- Conduct outreach activities including VSC, CHW network development.
- Fully participate in planned promotional activities including radio programs and MSI-U condom social marketing activities.
- Represent MSU in all meetings held with the DDHS, as well as representing MSU on district training and workshops.
- Maintain good working relationship with district authorities in conjunction with the Centre Manager and provide Feedback to the Centre Manager on outcomes of such meetings.
6. Team development:
- Ensure that team members are updated on new drugs and technological and SRH developments.
- Work hand in hand with the Centre Manager for technical support, clinical updates and daily running of the centre.
- Participate in district training where appropriate and inform the Centre Manager of additional skills gained or required by team members.
- Develop and implement work plan activities in consultation and collaboration with the Centre Manager.
- Support the Centre Manager in ensuring that all team members contribute creatively, meaningfully and actively to the development and implementation of the work plans.
- Assist with the development of effective client referral network to the centres through training and feedback on performance of MSU CHWs.
7. Professional and Ethical Conduct:
- Observe the relevant code of conduct for Clinical Officers in Uganda in regard to professional and ethical conduct.
- Provide Clinical care that is to the highest standard and safety. Competent management of medical emergencies and appropriate referral is paramount.
- In liaison with the Centre Manager monitor team performance and immediately address breaches of professional and ethical conduct.
- Dress smartly and wear either the MSU uniform or white coat while on duty.
- Perform any other work related duties as may be assigned by the supervisor
Education and Experience
- Diploma in Clinical Medicine and Community Health
- 2 years active service in a Clinical setting
- Valid Medical Practising Licence
- Computer Literacy (MS Packages)
Job application procedure
You are encouraged to apply for the above position provided you meet the specifications required as per the job description attached. Please send your applications to the this email: email@example.com
The deadline for applications is 14th December 2018.