Job Title: Communications Officer
Organization: Mercy Corps
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Mercy Corps is an International NGO that exists to alleviate poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities. Mercy Corps has been fully registered in Uganda as an operational NGO. Currently Mercy Corps has an office in Kampala and is implementing Food Security programs which comprise of Water and Sanitation, Livelihood and Agriculture and Conflict Mitigation Management Program in North and North Eastern Uganda. We implement programs in the northern districts of Pader, Kitgum, Agago, Lamwo, Kaabong, Abim and Kotido with funding from USAID, USDA, Walmart Foundation, SDC, DFID as well as other private donations.
Job Summary: The Communications Officer will be responsible for generating communication materials including briefs, reports, success stories, design branded materials, and press releases. The Communications Officer will copy edit documents to be shared with donors and external stakeholders. The Communications Officer will increase media coverage related to activities of Mercy Corps Uganda. Part of this role also includes building the capacity of team members and partners to be able to capture stories, take captivating photographs, and improve the quality of communication materials generated by the teams.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Communications and Public Relations:
- Develop a communications plan and strategy for the Apolou Activity and SP3
- Support Apolou and other Mercy Corps Uganda programmes to develop communication materials for internal and external audiences
- Support the design and drafting of communication plans, press releases, website content, newsletters and any other communications material (annual report, social media, speeches, editorials, Q&As)
- Compile monthly programmatic reports
Staff Capacity Building:
- Ensure all team members and partners are aware of and compliant with Mercy Corps media and communication protocols, including branding
- Develop and implement a comprehensive staff training series to build team capacity in the area of Communications (written, spoken, photography);
- Build the capacity of local partners in the area of Communications
- Ensure all team members are aware of and compliant with Mercy Corps and USAID media and communication protocols;
Event Management: Support the organization of events in support of programme activities. Including drafting invitations, documenting events, generating materials in support of the event (banners, promotional materials, press releases)
Organizational Learning: As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries: Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Mercy Corps Communications Officer job opportunity should a bachelor’s degree in Communication, Media Studies, Public Relations or a closely related field.
- Three years’ experience in a Communications role, having worked with Uganda media is an added advantage.
- Strong computer skills and administrative experience (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, InDesign, Social Media outlets etc.)
- Strong facilitation skills to deliver training to diverse groups
- Excellent writing and editing skills in English
- Strong ability to efficiently prioritize competing demands with attention to detail
- Ability to speak local languages of areas of operation an advantage
- The successful candidate will be a self-starter with ability to work both independently and in collaboration with a team, be able to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously, and manage a variety of diverse details.
- He/she must have the ability to occasionally work evenings or weekend hours.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should send their E-mail applications including a cover letter clearly stating the salary requirements, updated CV (with three professional referees), and copies of academic qualifications/certificates addressed to the Senior HR and Legal Manager, Mercy Corps Uganda to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 27th July 2018