Job Title: Regional Strategy Writer
Organization: QED Group, LLC
Project Name: USAID/Uganda Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Program
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Duration: February 12-March 30, 2018 (25 days LOE)
The QED Group, LLC is a full-service international development firm that provides practical solutions to social problems through sound analysis, proven management techniques, and creative implementation. We focus our efforts on two core practice areas: Monitoring & Evaluation and Knowledge Management. We work with U.S. agencies and overseas governments, international donors, private-sector clients, and PVOs/NGOs in more than 80 countries around the world. Key clients include USAID, the U.S. Department of State, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and the U.S. Trade and Development Agency.
About USAID/Uganda MEL Program:
The USAID/Uganda Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Program, also referred to as The Learning Contract, is a five-year activity that supports the USAID Mission’s Program and Policy Development office. USAID/Uganda contracted QED to implement this program, which provides Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) support services and aims to increase USAID/Uganda’s capacity to implement a Mission-wide Collaboration, Learning and Adapting (CLA) approach.
Job Summary: The Regional Strategy Writer will be supporting the Regional Strategy for Northern Uganda for USAID/Uganda to ensure a Regional Stakeholder Platform in Northern Uganda for the sub-regions of West Nile, Acholi, and Lango. In support of the platform, USAID/Uganda has facilitated consultations at the regional and sub-regional levels to assist and support the creation of a locally-led and owned Regional Development Strategy, identifying priorities and potential areas for investment. Parallel to these consultations, the USAID/Uganda Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Program (The Learning Contract) has provided desk reviews and research to support the development of the strategy.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- USAID/Uganda and the Learning Contract seek an experienced writer to compile, organize and draft the regional strategy, based upon the results of consultations and research.
- The Strategy Writer will:
- Review the available inputs, problem analysis, and theory of change, and revise and incorporate as needed; Summarize problem analysis and context, drawing from external and USAID or Learning Contract commissioned research, prioritization exercises, consultations, and desk reviews;
- The jobholder will consult with USAID, the Learning Contract, researchers from Gulu University, the Steering Committee; interview external experts, and other stakeholders, and propose and adjust a strategy outline;
- Invite and work alongside guest experts, as available, to assist in drafting the strategy, including interviewing said experts to generate chapter text, revising expert generated chapter text, and consolidating expert generated chapter drafts;
- Draft sample chapters for Steering Committee, USAID, and Learning Contract review;
- Prepare and present a revised outline which articulates the regional vision, goal, objectives, results framework, indicators and targets;
- Produce a draft strategy, including a catalogue of investment opportunities and further research or feasibility studies suggested; and subsequently,
- Produce a final regional strategy, including previously listed components, as appropriate.
Deliverables (Time Lines)
- Draft sample chapters for Steering Committee, USAID, and Learning Contract review; (Two weeks after start date)
- Prepare and present a revised outline which articulates the regional vision, goal, objectives, results framework, indicators and targets; (Two weeks after start date)
- Produce a draft strategy, including a catalogue of investment opportunities and further research or feasibility studies suggested; (Three weeks after start date)
- Produce a final regional strategy, including previously listed components, as appropriate. (Five weeks after start date)
Following strategy composition, the Strategy Writer may be asked to compose or assist in the composition of the strategic investment plan.
The Strategy Writer must be available to work with Learning Contract staff, within Learning Contract deadlines, respond to USAID comments with appropriate revision, and work with the Northern Uganda Regional Forum Steering Committee and their stakeholders to put words to text – communicating their ideas in a compelling document which espouses their vision, goals, and plans for action. The Strategy Writer will report to the Learning Contract Research and Learning Advisor, or other key point of contact for Learning Contract support to USAID’s regional development efforts. The Strategy Writer will work closely with the Learning Contract Senior Strategy Advisor for Northern Uganda.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold a University degree
- Excellent oral and especially strong written communication skills in English
- Skills in analysis and experience developing strategies (results frameworks, theories of change, goals and objective statements and identifying indicators).
- Interpersonal skills with the ability, resourcefulness, and initiative to identify and gather relevant data
- Willingness to work with local government officials and development partners to achieve stakeholder goals
- Strong time management skills
- Local language skills are an asset
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who meet the above criteria should send their CV, cover letter and Bio Data Form, download here, expressing interest to email@example.com with the title mentioned in the subject line.
Deadline: 31st January 2018 by 5:00pm Ugandan Time