Job Title: Medical Clinical Officer (3 Career Jobs)
The Makerere University Walter Reed Project (MUWRP) is a non-profit HIV research program that was established in 2002 as a result of a memorandum of understanding between Makerere University and The Henry M. Jackson foundation for Advancement of Military Medicine Inc. of USA (HJF).
The primary purpose of MUWRP is to develop, evaluate and provide interventions to mitigate disease threats of public health importance to Uganda. Activities include; vaccine development and building of vaccine testing capability in Uganda, conducting of epidemiological and basic research and provision of HIV Treatment, care and support and surveillance of influenza and other emerging infections. MUWRP recently increased its portfolio to include vaccines for Ebola and Marburg in addition to surveillance of influenza and influenza-like viruses in humans and animals.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Take lead in the fixed or mobile medical male circumcision teams in accomplishing service delivery goals.
- Conduct minor surgical procedures as per WHO/MOH guidelines
- Ensure patient safety and confidentiality
- Conduct health education sessions
- Resolve or coordinate the resolution of site program challenges
- Prepare and complete timely and accurate documentation of all surgical and following up procedures
- Participate in MUWRP / Local Government organized trainings as per trainer or supervisor.
- Perform any other duties as requested including but not limited to providing technical assistance in Antiretroviral Therapy Clinics.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The MUWRP prospective applicant should be a diploma in clinical Medicine and Community Heath.
- A minimum of two years’ post-qualification professional experience
- Significant experience in HIV/AIDS Prevention, Care and Treatment including Antiretroviral Therapy
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Possess the ability to accomplish designated goals and targets in service provision
- Fluency in verbal and written English and Luganda
- Prior experience of living and working in rural
- Possess an updated registration with the Allied Health Professionals Council
- Formal training in HIV/AIDS Prevention, Care and Treatment including Antiretroviral Therapy and Palliative Care will be an added advantage.
- Past working experience setting the agenda, supervision and / or leading groups of people
- Additional formal Training in Adolescent and Adult Medical Male Circumcision under local Anesthesia will be an advantage
- Computer literacy skills i.e. proficiency in Word processing, Spreadsheet, PowerPoint, Emailing and Internet.
- High organizational skills,
- Be detailed oriented and self-motivated
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Possess the ability to work on own initiative and accomplish designated goals and targets
- Ability to professionally communicate in writing, verbally or by other means deemed appropriate.
How to apply for the job:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should download application forms from Here and attach them on their Applications letters, Photocopies of academic qualifications and Resume with three referees quoting the Position Number to: The Human Resource Administrator Makerere University Walter Reed Project Plot 42 Nakasero Road. P.O. Box 16524 Kampala, Uganda
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 3rd February 2014