Vacancy title: 3 Senior Project Engineers
Type: FULL TIME.
Category: Science & Engineering
Jobs at: Rural Electriﬁcation Agency
Deadline of this Job: 19th November 2019
Duty Station: Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
The Government of Uganda (GOU) received ﬁnancing from the International Development Association (IDA) of the World Bank towards the cost of the project for Energy for Rural Transformation Phase III (ERT III) and it intends to apply part of the proceeds to payments for consulting services for project supervision.
Under this project, three (3) positions of Senior Project Engineer is available to be ﬁlled by a qualiﬁed and experienced professional. REA is seeking to recruit individuals of high integrity, dedication and commitment for the position of Senior Project Engineer whose details can he viewed and obtained on the Procurement Notice Board at REA Offices and on www.rea.or.ug
Post: 3 Senior Project Engineers
The primary purpose ofthe Senior Project Engineer will be to supervise the implementation of ERT III Grid intensiﬁcation works under:
Lot l (North North West, Northern and West Nile ServiceTerritories)
Lot 2 (Central North, Eastern and North Eastern Service Territories)
Lot 3 (Southern, South Western, Mid-Western and North Western Service Territories).
And any other ERT Project activities.
He/she will represent REA in the management of grid intensiﬁcation and other ERT projects and will be REA’s liaison person with relevant stakeholders to ensure smooth and effective project implementation.
Scope of the assignment and Key Responsibilities:
• Contract Management which involves submission, veriﬁcation and certiﬁcation of securities; scheduling timely site handover; timely submission and ﬁling of reports, programmes and key contractual deliverables throughout implementation period; to review, update and approve reports and deliverables throughout the implementation period hence ensuring contract effectiveness;and reporting compliance and completeness of key reporting requirements and deliverables.
• To supervise construction work for quality compliance by ensuring supply and use of quality materials as per contract, ensure adherence to good engineering practices with reference to the contract and the engineering memorandum, and to review and recommend change orders and or instructions.
• To represent REA in the management of rural electriﬁcation projects through stakeholder identiﬁcation and involvement and to ensure participation of key stakeholders during project implementation.
• To carry out project monitoring, control, quality management, and reporting throughout the project cycle to ensure adherence to contractual requirements; to review detailed engineering designs drawings, and other relevant documentation prior to manufacturing and commencement of works at site; to develop and implement a quality control plan with focus on critical project milestones, activities and equipment; to prepare quality control protocols; to schedule and facilitate network pre commissioning and commissioning activities; and to facilitate handover of completed project works as detailed in the contract.
• To collaborate with social and environmental specialist at REA to monitor the project’s compliance with environmental and social safeguard instruments that include, among others, the Environmental and Social Management Framework (ESMF), the Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP), the Resettlement Action Plan (RAP) and all relevant Word Bank policies as detailed in the Project’s Financing Agreement; to ensure timely submission of the contractor’s ESMP implementation report, to review for completeness in conjunction with the environmental unit and to facilitate environmental audit exercise during the project closure.
• To participate in project preparation and supervision by conducting ﬁeld visits to verify and update scope, designs, and material quantities; and to supervise the development statement of requirements and preparation of bidding documents; to facilitate the procurement of project contractors; and to prepare terms of reference (TORs) for consultancy services and to facilitate the related procurement activities.
• To review payment certiﬁcates and consultancy fee notes and submit as necessary for payment and to ensure timely payment of contractors’ invoices and consultancy fee notes.
• To carry out any other duties as speciﬁed by the Supervisor.
Qualiﬁcations and Experience
The desired candidate should have the following:
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering from a recognized University.
• Professional registration and membership with an Engineering Professional body plus a Masters in Power engineering or the equivalent will be an added advantage.
• Additional training in project management will as well be an added advantage.
• Working experience of at least five (5) years in the following ﬁelds:
• Planning and designing of Medium Voltage (33/11kV) and LowVoltage power lines.
• Construction/ Supervision of Medium Voltage (33/11kV] and Low Voltage power lines.
• Auditing of completed and those under implementation.
• A proven integrity record
Period of performance
The assignment shall be for a period of 2 (Two) Years.
The Senior Project Engineer shall report to the Manager Project Development and Management, but will work closely with the Principle Project Engineer responsible for ERT III Co-ordination.
The Senior Project Engineer will be located in Kampala but will be required to carry regularly travel to the ﬁeld to oversee the implementation of the project.
Job Skills: Not Specified
Job Education Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree
Job Experience Requirements: Five (5) years
Job application procedure
Interested applicants who meet the requirements should submit their applications which include: forwarding letter, detailed CV names and addresses of three referees and copies of relevant certiﬁcates and testimonials, addressed and delivered to:
The Executive Director
Rural Electriﬁcation Agency
Plot 10 Windsor Loop, Kololo
2nd Floor, House of Hope
RD Box T3 I T
Kampala – Uganda
Deadline for receiving the applications: November 19, 2019
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.