Vacancy title: 7 Nursing Officers
Type: FULL TIME
Industry: Health Science
Category: Health Professionals
Jobs at: MRC/UVRI
Deadline of this Job: 13 August 2020
Duty Station: Within Uganda , Uganda , East Africa
The Unit is an internationally recognised centre of excellence with dominant research themes in the areas of HIV and emerging infections, vaccines and immunity, and chronic diseases and cancer. Through a multidisciplinary approach, intersecting basic science, epidemiological research, social-behavioural research and the conduct of new intervention evaluation studies, the Unit contributes knowledge on changing epidemics and diseases, the evaluation of innovative health care options, treatment and prevention and the development of health policy and practice in Africa and worldwide. Following the signing of strategic transfer agreements between the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) and the Medical Research Council (MRC UK), the Unit formally joined LSHTM on 1st February 2018. The exciting new partnership will boost research capacity into current and emerging health issues in Africa and throughout the world. The Unit is based at the UVRI Entebbe campus with established outposts in Kalungu, Masaka, Wakiso and Kampala Districts. The Unit is now seeking enthusiastic and experienced individuals to fill the following positions:
Nursing Officer (07 Positions)
Position Code: NO -720
Reports to: Study Coordinator
Duration: 1 year, renewable subject to availability of funds
The overall purpose is to consent study participants, give health education talks, conduct interviews, collect data and to obtain study specimens from participants recruited into the study. To refer participants found sick during the study to appropriate health facilities for care. .
Roles & Responsibilities
• Administer the information sheet and obtain informed consent from study participants.
• Collect data through conducting interviews with study participants.
• Conduct measurements as indicated in the study protocol.
• Collect nasal and throat swabs from study participants.
• Perform phlebotomy and obtain venous blood as per study protocol.
• Perform rapid HIV tests, rapid malaria tests and haemoglobin in the field.
• Referral of study participants found ill during the field work.
• Document and label study samples collected from study participants in the field.
• Ensure that samples collected in the field are transported in time to the Kyamulibwa field laboratory.
• Provide health education and awareness to study participants and communities.
• Make regular requisitions for supplies and PPE from the store.
• Transfer data collected from the field and synchronise the data on the server.
• Attend and give presentations in CMEs.
• Ensure proper documentation and adherence to the study protocol.
• Perform any other duty assigned by the PI or the study coordinator.
• Diploma in Nursing/comprehensive.
• Degree qualifications in Nursing is desired.
• Short courses on research methods, GCP training, counselling is an added advantage.
• At least 2 years’ experience in clinical and research setting.
• Possession of counselling skills is an added advantage.
• Communication skills with good of English and Luganda.
• User knowledge in computer applications.
Job Education: Diploma
Job Experience: 2 years
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Follow the link below to fill a form and submit your application documentation:
Deadline for application is 13th August 2020, 5:00pm. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview. This position is open to Ugandan nationals only. Strictly follow the application procedure as failure to do so will lead to automatic disqualification.
The applications should be addressed to:
The Head of Human Resources,
MRC/ UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit,
P.O. Box, 49,
Consider your application unsuccessful if not contacted within eight (8) weeks after the closing date of the advert. Any form of lobbying at any stage will lead to automatic disqualification. By submitting your personal information, you consent to the MRC/ UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit holding and using it in accordance with its recruitment policy and procedure. The Unit reserves the right to verify documents attached with the relevant awarding institutions to authenticate their validity.