Job Title: Administration and Procurement Officer
Organisation: USAID Advancing Nutrition
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
USAID Advancing Nutrition is USAID’s flagship multi-sectoral nutrition project, led by JSI Research & Training Institute, Inc. (JSI), and a diverse group of experienced partners. Launched in September 2018, USAID Advancing Nutrition implements and provides technical support to nutrition interventions across sectors and disciplines for USAID and its partners. The project’s multi-sectoral approach draws together global nutrition experience to design, implement and evaluate programs that address the root causes of malnutrition. Committed to using a systems approach, USAID Advancing Nutrition strives to sustain positive outcomes by building local capacity, supporting behavior change, and strengthening the enabling environment to save lives, improve health, build resilience, increase economic productivity and advance development.
The USAID Mission in Uganda provided USAID Advancing Nutrition with a scope of work (SOW) to begin programming in Uganda with a June 2021 to June 2023 performance period. The overall purpose is to support the Government of Uganda to reduce micronutrient deficiencies by improving the quality of diet through strengthening compliance to food fortification standards, enforcement, and monitoring. USAID Advancing Nutrition will engage stakeholders such as the National Working Group on Food Fortification, Private Sector Foundation of Uganda, civil society, regulatory agencies like the Uganda National Bureau of Standards, the Ministry of Health, Office of the Prime Minister, Uganda Bureau of Statistics, and the Ministry of Trade, Industry, and Cooperatives to implement and support actions to strengthen food fortification for public health impact. There are four key objectives:
- Increase the capacity of the public sector to enforce food fortification standards and regulations
- Increase the capacity of the private sector to comply with food fortification standards and regulations.
- Strengthen partnerships and stakeholder coordination in food fortification.
- Raise awareness of the benefits of fortified foods
USAID Advancing Nutrition is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Job Summary: The Administration and Procurement Officer will lead the procurement of goods and services including event venues, local consultants, office supplies, and other goods and services necessary for project implementation. The Administration and Operations Officer will also support logistics for project events, trainings, and meetings, and will oversee the day-to-day duties of local and international travel.
The ideal candidate will have a university degree at Four (4) or more years of experience working in Administration and Procurement, or other operations position. The Admin and Procurement Officer will report to the Finance & Operations Manager. This position is based in Kampala.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage and monitor the project’s procurement processes, including but not limited to verification of technical specifications, preparation of procurement documentation, responding to written inquiries and clarifications, procurement evaluation and notification, and contract preparation;
- Act as a resource person to all project staff for procurement related inquiries; and provide regular training to staff to ensure awareness with JSI Management Accountability Framework;
- Update vendor lists for common procurements (preferred vendors, pharmaceuticals, etc.) and streamline vendor-preferred procurements, as applicable;
- Ensure all project procurement files are up to date and audit-ready all the times, in accordance with the Operations Manual;
- Liaise with the JSI home office staff on procurement related activities in accordance policy and procedures, and;
- Maintain procurement plan.
- Administration (some tasks may be adjusted as additional staff come onboard)
- Provide administrative and logistics support to project events, trainings, and workshops;
- Manage USAID Advancing Nutrition office space and staff comfortability;
- Maintain inventory of project non-expendable equipment, including tagging, tracking, and assessing condition of equipment and furniture for USAID required reports;
- Ensure that administrative files for the office are maintained in a consistent and orderly manner;
- Coordinate travel requirements for staff and consultants, including hotel accommodations and
- Conference booking;
- Ensure that project equipment are maintained and properly functioning
- Maintain vendor files; and
- Perform any other tasks assigned by Finance and Operations Manager
- Manage the asset register, materials, and supplies; ensuring that all assets are properly labelled/tagged
- Ensure assets and inventories are well maintained and ensure physical verifications (quarterly and annually)
- Filing and database management
- Monitoring vehicle insurance, registration, and maintenance; and
- Maintain vendor files.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or a similar field.
- At least four years of combined demonstrated experience in a procurement, Administration, and/or operational related position for international development projects.
- Computer Skills: Proficiency in MS Office suite.
- Language Skills: Written and verbal fluency in English.
- Ability to conduct procurement analysis and justifications.
- Ability to do inventory management and tracking.
- Ability to be discreet and maintain confidential information;
- Ability to multitask and manage competing priorities
- A good team player with strong interpersonal skills, outgoing personality, and ability to work independently and effectively under pressure and on strict deadlines.
- Excellent knowledge of computer applications.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English.
- Ability to supervise staff
- Work with a USAID-funded project
- Ability to take initiative and complete tasks with minimal supervision
How to Apply:
All interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected] Please include the job title in the subject line of the email
Deadline: 10th December 2021