Job Title: MMC Nurses (2 Career Jobs)
The Makerere University Walter Reed Project (MUWRP) is a non-profit HIV research program that was established in 2002 as a result of a memorandum of understanding between Makerere University and The Henry M. Jackson foundation for Advancement of Military Medicine Inc. of USA (HJF).
The primary purpose of MUWRP is to develop, evaluate and provide interventions to mitigate disease threats of public health importance to Uganda. Activities include; vaccine development and building of vaccine testing capability in Uganda, conducting of epidemiological and basic research and provision of HIV Treatment, care and support and surveillance of influenza and other emerging infections. MUWRP recently increased its portfolio to include vaccines for Ebola and Marburg in addition to surveillance of influenza and influenza-like viruses in humans and animals.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide nursing and /or surgical theatre assistant services
- Assist in minor surgical procedures as per WHO/MOH guidelines.
- Carry out Health Education session and /routine physical examinations.
- Ensure patient safety and confidentiality.
- Actively participate in complete, timely and accurate documentation of all surgical and follow -up procedures.
- Maintain surgical instruments and theatre equipment
Perform any other duties as requested.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The MUWRP prospective applicant should be a registered /Enrolled Nurse or Midwife.
- A minimum of two years’ post -qualification professional experience.
- Prior experience in HIV/AIDS Prevention, care and treatment including Antiretroviral Therapy.
- Excellent interpersonal /communication skills.
- Show commitment to accomplishing designated goals and targets in service provision.
- Fluency in verbal and written English, able to fluently read and speak Luganda.
- Prior working experience of living and working in rural environment.
- The applicant should also be registered with the Nurses and Midwives Council.
- Training as a Medical Theatre Assistant will be an added advantage
- Formal training in HIV/AIDS Prevention, Care and Treatment Including Antiretroviral Therapy and Palliative Care will be an added advantage
- Additional formal Training ‘in Adolescent and Adult Medical male Circumcision under local Anesthesia will be an added advantage
- Formal training in counselling, especially youth counselling.
- High organizational skills
- Be detail-orientated and self – motivated.
- Possess the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work on own initiative and accomplish designated goals and targets
How to apply for the job:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates should download application forms from Here and attach them on their Applications letters, Photocopies of academic qualifications and Resume with three referees quoting the Position Number to: The Human Resource Administrator Makerere University Walter Reed Project Plot 42 Nakasero Road. P.O. Box 16524 Kampala, Uganda
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Deadline: 3rd February 2014