Organization: American Refugee Committee
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Regional Finance Controller
The American Refugee Committee is an international nonprofit, nonsectarian organization that has provided humanitarian assistance and training to millions of beneficiaries over the last 35 years. ARC works with refugee communities in 11 countries around the world, helping people regain control of their lives. The people ARC serves have lost everything to events completely beyond their control. ARC provides shelter, clean water and sanitation, health care, skills training, microcredit education, protection and whatever support we can to let people begin again.
The Finance Department provides leadership, guidance and oversight of ARC’s financial resources. These ARC operations include planning, accountability, monitoring, headquarters accounting, grant management and field financial support.
Job Summary: The International General Ledger Accountant will carry out established finance practices and ensure compliance with ARC policies and procedures for the accounting activities of the organization, including general accounting, reporting, and donor compliance.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- General Ledger Management, Reconciliation and Oversight – 80%
- General Accounting Management – 10%
- Other – 10%
- In charge of organizing, entering and filing transactions sent to headquarters from overseas for processing.
- Prepare journal entries.
- In charge of preparing monthly expense accruals and allocations.
- Responsible for carrying out monthly reconciliations of General Ledger accounts.
- Prepare/extract monthly financial accounts, including computer data entry, preparation of support schedules, etc.
- Intuitively review vouchers for valid account/cost code and advise necessary adjustments to originator.
- Research expenditure variances and prepare correcting journals as required.
- Prepare regular internal accounting reports for management.
- Assist in the preparation of budgets, as required.
- Offer technical assistance to overseas financial staff.
- Assist with year-end audit including providing all necessary documents.
- Ensure all accounting files and supporting documentation are properly organized
- Communicate any problems or concerns regarding procedures or any other issues with management.
- Oversee special assignments such as the inter-company transaction process.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by manager.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the American Refugee Committee International G/L Accountant job should hold a University degree in accounting
- At least two years’ experience in accounting.
- Working knowledge of non-profit/fund accounting and financial analysis.
- Past exposure and experience in financial reporting.
- Good computer skills and knowledge of accounting systems such as Serenic Navigator or Microsoft Dynamics Nav (Navision).
- Prior experience working with diverse cultures.
- Computer proficiency in Excel.
- Detail-oriented, organized and respect for accuracy in numbers is essential.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Highly motivated self-starter
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team skills
- Ability to travel to the global field sites 1-4 times a year
How to Apply for the job:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join the American Refugee Committee in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to Apply Online by clicking the web link below.
Click Here -> Please Choose International G/L Accountant, Kampala at Bottom of Page