Bridge International Academies is transforming education by attacking one of the emerging world’s biggest problems: inadequate access to and quality of education for the children of families living on less than 180 Ksh/day.
As of May 2014, Bridge is operating 303 academies in Kenya with nearly 100,000 pupils, and has aggressive global expansion planned for 2015 and beyond. Bridge utilizes a research-proven, scripted-learning education methodology coupled with big data (all teachers have tablets for instruction, assessment, and data-gathering) to profitably deliver high quality education at less than 540 Ksh per child per month.
Bridge is a for-profit company that deeply believes that financially sustainable solutions are the long-term answer to development in emerging countries. The company is backed by top-tier, global venture capital firms.
Job Summary: The Bridge International Academies Procurement Officer (Construction) will be responsible for managing the day to day procurement activities and coordinating with heads of departments to ensure timely purchase of required category items for Headquarters and Construction. The holder of this position will deliver high quality professional procurement administration services and support the Procurement Manager in the development and implementation of tools, processes, policies and practices covering all aspects of the Supply chain.
Key job Duties and Responsibilities:
- The person will work closely with head of construction department under the guidance of the Procurement Manager in the bidding documents preparation, bidding process and preparation of framework agreements with suppliers for the diverse construction material requirement and ensuring value for money.
- Implementing the category strategy including sourcing activities which generate benefits and achieve value.
- The Procurement Officer will be required to closely monitor and manage the acquisition of printed materials, school & training supplies needed for production of learning and training requirements, general supplies for office and schools support team, marketing material while ensuring visibility of the process at each stage.
- Leveraging online procurement resources to identify and use appropriate channels within the vast e-commerce environment both locally and internationally
- Use of world class procurement practice and tools to develop and implement the sourcing strategies for the category items.
- Offers technical support in the negotiation of contractual agreements with suppliers to ensure that service, quality, added value, lowest total cost, security of supply and the deployment of the supplier’s capabilities are secured.
- Guarantee that internal customer and supplier relationships are maintained well for the procurement category to deliver breakthrough performance in cost, service and quality.
- Support the procurement manager to maximize the use of the Bridge International Academies funds by identifying best practice and leveraging spend for the procurement category including monitoring available framework agreements.
- Prepare and maintain appropriate reports and provide administrative support
- Creating and fostering relationships with diverse logistics and purchasing professional associations to ensure gainful experience and knowledge sharing
- Determining quantity and timing of Construction turnarounds and deliveries keeping up to date schedules to track lead times throughout the procurement process
- Spearhead, direct, coordinate, and manage all administrative, contractual and operational aspects of Construction Purchases.
- Prepare the Construction Purchasing budget for review by the department head, Finance and Procurement manager. Administer, control and coordinate budget and expenditures. Approve requisitions, Satellite office construction purchase orders
- Engaging suppliers on performance issues and providing feedback.
- Closing out purchase orders, files and archiving documents.
- Working internally and with external legal support to ensure suitable agreements that would ensure appropriate terms of engagement with suppliers of high value equipment such as capital items, and warranty covered purchases.
- Support land and Construction departments and other functions in legal and contractual processes for their procurement needs.
- Guide management on required areas of improvement to enhance procurement processes
- Train, motivate, coach, develop, and evaluate assigned professional, technical, and clerical Purchasing staff.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience needed for the job:
- The Procurement Officer should possess a good Bachelor’s Degree in business, engineering, economics or other Social Science or related discipline.
- Professional qualification in purchasing and supplies management is essential.
- At least six to ten years’ experience in procurement administration preferably for a big construction organization with multiple procurement requirements
- An expert level of knowledge in procurement including, but not limited to sourcing, pricing, contracts, relationship management and due diligence on suppliers and contractors
- Prior exposure and experience with procurement of construction industry or a Project in large scale environment where both formal and informal vendors operate will be a definite advantage.
- Ability to deal with hands on issues, creation of practical solutions as well as participate in strategic thinking will be key to success in this position.
- Ability to manage competing demands, accept criticism and constructive feedback, while being extremely efficient, adaptable and flexible
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills are required
- Ability to present procurement feedback, policies and procedures to senior managers.
- Proven ability to organize large volumes of procurement and delivery requirements for a broad range of construction requirements. Must have the ability to quickly learn and improve systems
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information appropriately
- Strong initiative and solid judgment skills and abilities
- High level of integrity and ethical behavior
- Computer proficiency i.e. Good knowledge of Microsoft Office suite applications
How to Apply for the job:
If you so desire to join Bridge International Academies in the aforementioned capacity, please Apply Online by Clicking on the link below -> Please Choose Procurement Officer, Uganda