Job Tittle: Finance and Administration Associate
As the UN system’s development programme and a GEF Implementing Agency since 1991, UNDP supports countries in addressing development, climate, and ecosystem sustainability in an integrated manner. As a GEF Implementing Agency, UNDP-GEF further offers countries highly specialized technical services for programme/project formulation, due diligence, mobilization of required co-financing, project implementation oversight, results management and evaluation, performance-based payments and knowledge management. UNDP-GEF’s Green, Low-emission, Climate-resilient Development Strategies team works to support countries to attract and direct public and private investment towards catalyzing and supporting sustainable economic growth through initiatives focused on integrated Climate Change Strategies, Advancing Cross-sectoral Climate Resilient Livelihoods and Strengthening Climate Information and Early Warning Systems for Climate Resilient Development.
Recently, UNDP-GEF designed a set of 10 country-led projects that focus on strengthening climate information and early warning systems (CI/EWS) for climate resilient development and adaptation to climate change. The countries receiving support include Benin, Burkina Faso, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Sao Tome and Principe, Ethiopia, Uganda, Tanzania, Malawi and Zambia. As part of the implementation phase the project in Uganda is looking for a National Project Coordinator to supervise and oversee the project activities and deliver the objective, outcomes and outputs of the project.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Standardise the finance and accounting systems of the project while maintaining compatibility with government, GEF and UNDP financial accounting procedures.
- Prepare revisions of the budgets and assist in the preparation of the annual work plans.
- Comply and verify budget and accounting data by researching files, calculating costs, and estimating anticipated expenditures from readily available information sources.
- Prepare status reports, progress reports and other financial reports.
- Process all types of payments requests for settlement purposes including quarterly advances to the partners upon joint review.
- Prepare periodic accounting records by recording receipts, disbursements (ledgers, cash books, vouchers, etc.) and reconciling data for recurring or financial special reports and assist in preparation of annual procurement plans.
- Undertake project financial closure formalities including submission of terminal reports, transfer and disposal of equipment, processing of semi-final revisions, and support professional staff in preparing the terminal assessment reports.
- Help in the timely issuance of contracts and assurance of other eligible entitlements of the project personnel, experts, and consultants.
- Perform any other reasonable duties as may be assigned by the supervisor or management
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The candidate should possess a relevant Bachelors degree in finance, commerce, business administration.
- The Finance and Administration Associate must have at least six years of relevant work experience with the Government of Uganda.
- Knowledge of English as a working language;
- Knowledge of other UN working languages will be an asset.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability ;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism.
- Financial expenditure and track accounts;
- Ability to correspond effectively and different stakeholders and organizations;
- Computer literacy skills;
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
How to Apply:
If you believe you are one of the ideal candidates for this opportunity in working with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), then visit the web link http://jobs.undp.org for full job details and How to Apply for the job.
Deadline: 14th January, 2014
NB: UNDP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified Women are encouraged to apply.