Job Title: Research Assistant (Data Jobs)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Pollicy is a company with a group of technologists, data scientists, creatives and academics looking to innovate government service delivery across Africa. We work with governments, civil society, NGOs and the private sector re-design services around citizen needs and demands. This is accomplished through strategic consulting, user-centered design, research and capacity development of key actors within governance. Pollicy believes in the power of data to revolutionize how governments deliver services to their citizens. We aim to digitally transform government services across Africa through an information-centric approach and craft better life experiences by harnessing improved data.
Job Summary: Do you love civic technology? Are you a people aficionado? Are you interested in working with a dynamic and quickly growing team of technologists, data scientists and designers?
Pollicy is looking for a Research Assistant to support our different research initiatives in close collaboration with our Research Manager. This position involves supporting on the planning, managing, implementation, developing research methodology, liaising with IRB offices, coordinating research activities and enumerators and monitoring of the project(s), drafting reports, external representation etc in order to achieve the project targets as effectively and efficiently as possible ensuring consistency with project work plan. Reporting: You will report to the Research Manager.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct research on thematic areas related to digital inclusion, digital resilience and digital rights, including literature reviews, interviews and focus group discussions,
- Support in field research, including the development of research protocol, meeting IRB requirements, developing survey instruments, as well as training and managing enumerators,
- Travel to field sites to collect and record data as appropriate to the specific objectives of the project,
- Support in data analysis and report writing under the guidance of the Research Manager, Researchers and Executive Director, including utilizing platforms such as STATA, Atlas T.I., ensuring quality control and appropriate data management.
Communication and Events
- Support the Communication Team to draft briefings, publications and online content aimed at diverse audiences related to the research studies for platforms such as social media, traditional media, webinars, journals etc.,
- Be prepared to share research findings at convenings, both in-person and in online spaces
- Conduct training on key data skills such as research methodologies, mobile data collection, data analysis, data visualizations etc.,
- Support partners on key data skills as and when required,
- Support in developing curriculum and fostering partnerships with partner organizations to build up the data science ecosystem in Uganda and across our focal countries.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- At least three years of work experience in a relevant position
- Prior research experience in both quantitative and qualitative methodologies is a MUST.
- We are looking for early to mid-career professionals interested in working with a dynamic team.
- Fluent in English
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Commitment to frequent and timely communication
- Strong and creative problem solving skills with the ability to exercise good judgement in the resolution of problems
- Ability to multi-task and deliver on several different project needs at the same time
- Ability to work under minimum supervision. Interest and experience working in civic technology and a commitment to working with government and civil society on solving public service challenges
- Experience using technology within prior work
NB: The position is only open to Ugandans.
How to Apply:
All candidates should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 22nd September 2021