Job Title: Assistant Representative – Programme
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Position Grade: P-5
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Assistant Representative – Programme will function under direct supervision of the UNHCR Representative. Advice and operational support may also be provided by the Director/Deputy Director of the Bureau or the Regional Representative and by other senior staff in the Bureau and in the support Divisions at Headquarters. The incumbent will advise and assist the Representative in the overall management of UNHCR’s programme activities and issues of concern within the country operation in an effective and efficient manner which supports the Organization’s mandate. The incumbent will also have direct working relationship/arrangement with the Head of UNHCR offices in the country operation. S/he will also have a responsibility to monitor, coach, and guide and intervene with the staff within the country.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Assist the Representative in the overall management of UNHCR’s programme activities within the country of assignment in an effective and efficient manner which supports the Organization’s mandate.
· Verify the standards of assistance for project activities at country level, ensuring consistency with UNHCR’s country strategy and policies, and their integration with protection functions.
· Assist the Representative in developing contacts and networks with other government agencies, UN agencies, and NGOs to foster mutual cooperation and ensure that activities are coordinated and integrated to best effect.
· Develop country-specific management tools for project monitoring and control; ensure the effective and efficient use of financial and material resources within the rules and procedures of UNHCR.
· Manage personnel through regular performance appraisals, coaching, and assessments of staff training and development needs
· Ensure that essential services for the general welfare of staff i.a. living and working conditions, health, education, recreation, etc. are in place. This includes the establishment of proper and efficient mechanisms to assist staff suffering from work-related pressure or post traumatic stress.
· Play an active role in the Security Management Team (SMT) in the relevant country and the inter-agency security and contingency planning process; ensure that appropriate security measures and evacuation plans are in place to protect UNHCR staff; and that security guidelines and procedures as outlined by the Designated Offcial and UNDSS are complied with.
· Report and provide recommendations/solutions to the Representative on political, socio-economic, and cultural developments that may effect the situation of refugees in the country.
· Act as Officer-in-Charge in the absence of the Representative as required.
· Set and enforce parameters, criteria and deadlines for the design, review and report of operations.
· Clear the submission of the country operations plan (including budgets, staffing levels and structures) as well as of funding submissions, appeals and report.
· Negotiate implementing partner agreements.
· Represent UNHCR in UN and other operations management and programmatic fora.
· Enforce compliance with UNHCR¿s global strategies, protocols and guidelines.
· Approve recommendations and advice on the technical capacity required of UNHCR and its partners.
· Perform other related duties as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Assistant Representative – Programme job placement should hold;
o For P5 – 12 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 11 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 10 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
· Field(s) of Education: Business Administration; Economics; International Relations;
· Political Science; International Law; or other relevant field.
· HCR Learning Prog; HCR Management Lrng Prg; HCR Protection Learning Prg;
· *EX-Experience in international organization (United Nations or similar);
· EX-Field experience with UNHCR and/or with other humanitarian organizations;
· EX-HQs experience with UNHCR and/or with other humanitarian organizations;
· MG-5 years of managerial experience;
· Language Requirements: For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English. For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language. For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
· Solid UNHCR experience from both the Field and Headquarters.
· UNHCR specific learning/ training activities (i.e. Management Learning Programme, Protection Learning Programme).
· C001L4 – Accountability Level 4
· C002L4 – Teamwork & Collaboration Level 4
· C003L4 – Communication Level 4
· C004L4 – Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 4
· C005L4 – Client & Result Orientation Level 4
· C006L4 – Organizational Awareness Level 4
· M001L4 – Empowering and Building Trust Level 4
· M002L4 – Managing Performance Level 4
· M006L4 – Managing Resources Level 4
· M005L4 – Leadership Level 4
· M003L4 – Judgement and Decision Making Level 4
· M004L4 – Strategic Planning and Vision Level 4
· X007L4 – Political Awareness Level 4
· X001L4 – Analytical Thinking Level 4
· X008L4 – Stakeholder Management Level 4
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 7th December 2020