Job Title: Associate WASH Officer (Fresher UN Job Opportunities)
Organization: United Nations Volunteers (UNV)
Host Organization: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Duty Station: Uganda
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. We work with partners to integrate qualified, highly motivated and well supported UN Volunteers into development programming and promote the value and global recognition of volunteerism. UNV is administered by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and reports to the UNDP/UNFPA/UNOPS Executive Board.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Under the direct supervision of Head of Office, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
· Provide technical support and guidance to UNHCR sub-office, field offices and partners on activities within the areas of WASH.
· Undertake needs and resource assessments with sub-office and field offices to prioritize needs and activities in the provision of WASH services refugees and returnees.
· Make provisions for the installation of WASH services in any new camp or camp extension identified for the settlement of refugees in direct coordination and collaboration with the designated site planner or shelter officer.
· Contribute to the scale up of the UNHCR WASH monitoring framework in projects and keep the records updated.
· Assist in and check engineering calculations leading to detailed drawings for required WASH infrastructures and activities and associated cost estimates for camps/settlements, transit centers, etc.
· Contribute to develop training plans and tools and provide inputs in training sessions to ensure that implementing partners, refugees and other persons of concern to UNHCR acquire the needed knowledge and skills.
· Represent the WASH sector internally and externally, in particular in the WASH cluster with other relevant actors/technical coordination platforms as necessary.
· Emergency response: Willing to be deployed for the first phase emergency response to carry out needs assessment and support the country to develop a WASH strategic plan of response.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Engineering (preferably MSc) in hydrology, hydrogeology, hydraulics, water/sanitation management or environmental sciences.
· A minimum two years of experience in water supply and sewerage works, water purification systems, pump installations and associated electrical works, etc.; experience in project cycle management, partnerships, disengagement strategy and sustainability of WASH projects is essential.
· Have affinity with or interest in humanitarian relief, post-conflict situations, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
· Language skills: English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
· Area of expertise: Water quality control
· Age: Above 25 years
Competencies values: Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Working in Teams
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join the United Nations Volunteers UNV in this capacity should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 10th March 2021