Job Title: Business Development Officer (BDO)
Organisation: Uganda Development Trust (UDET)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Immediate Supervisor: Chief Business Development Officer (CBDO)
Uganda Development Trust (UDET) is a consulting firm that provides Business Development Services (BDS) directly to grassroots community groups and SMEs engaged in businesses that are aimed at improving the living economic conditions of marginalized people, creating gainful employment and sustainable market outlets for smallholder farmers in Uganda. Currently, UDET is the Strategic Partner of the United States African Development Foundation (USADF) in Uganda
Job Summary: The BDO will be attached to the USADF Program and any other donor-funded projects that UDET manages and will be responsible for the following duties:
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with applicants to analyze the financial, technical and environmental feasibility of their business proposals by using various participatory development methodologies.
- Work closely with the Chief Business Development Officer to prepare detailed business proposals with clear and realistic financial projections so as to demonstrate the profitability of the proposed businesses.
- Analyze the expected economic and financial impact from the proposed USADF’s financial and technical assistance to the prospective grantees.
- Develop clear budgets and budget narratives for USADF projects so as to ensure clarity during project implementation.
- Conduct thorough due diligence during project development (design) to ensure that potential applicants meet USADF funding criteria before submitting their business proposals to USADF for review.
- Oversee a portfolio of projects under your supervision.
- Support and guide USADF grantees to achieve their performance targets
- Provide technical support to increase business growth and competitiveness by assisting grantees to meet quality requirements, acquire national and international
- certifications; undertake marketing surveys, develop appropriate costing and pricing of their products.
- Assist USADF grantees in sourcing and/or identifying Technical Assistance (TA’s) and appropriate production technologies.
- Provide guidance to clients in developing consultants’ Terms of Reference and deliverables.
- Review, submit and follow-up grantee requests for disbursements if project funds.
Performance Monitoring and Evaluation
- Review quarterly reports submitted by USADF grantees to measure progress against set performance targets and implementation plans.
- Carry out frequent field monitoring trips to assess project performance against set performance targets.
- Develop remedial plans for underperforming grantees.
- Participate in bi-annual portfolio reviews for USADF projects in Uganda to evaluate their performance.
- Assist grantees to undertake Poverty Probability Index (PPI), Organizational Capacity Assessment (OCA), etc.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- A post graduate degree in Business Administration, Accounting and/or Finance with a strong understanding of Medium, Small Micro Enterprises (MSME’s) involved in agro-processing, non-traditional agriculture exports and commodity marketing.
- Possession of CPA or ACCA qualification will be a major plus.
- At least five years of working experience in business development and financial analysis, business development, project financial planning, management, and monitoring.
- Prior experience in using financial data analysis to derive conclusions and results to enable the business promoters make informed decisions.
- Understanding and experience in financial management and analysis, monitoring and evaluation practices
- Must be competent and familiar with computer-based models that are commonly used in financial analysis as well as being conversant with marketing analysis tools and skills
- Must have the skills, experience, and ability to train UDET Clients/ beneficiaries using adult training methodologies
How to Apply:
All Interested candidates please send an application letter indicating interest, experience and qualifications for the position.
- A current CV with a full address and telephone contact
- Three letters from professional referees
- Proof of having a Ugandan Nationality
The salary for each of these positions is competitive and negotiable based on one’s experience and past employment track record. Applications including all the requested information should be addressed to:
The Program Director
Uganda Development Trust
Plot 73, Kira Road
P .O. Box 7713, Kampala
Email to: [email protected]
Deadline: 11th August 2021