Job Title: Clerks of Works (5 Job Opportunities)
Organisation: PEAS (Promoting Equality in African Schools)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Construction Engineer
PEAS (Promoting Equality in African Schools) is social enterprise with a mission to ‘expand access to sustainably delivered, quality secondary education across Africa’. PEAS establishes and operates affordable secondary schools in Uganda and Zambia in areas where access to quality secondary education is limited due to cost and geographical barriers. PEAS launched an ambitious strategy in 2021, aimed at expanding Access to Quality education, ensure schools are Sustainable and invest in systems strengthening. With over 30 secondary schools in Uganda educating over 13,500 students, 53 staff at the Country Office and 900 staff working in the network schools,
Job Summary: The temporary Clerks of Works will supervise construction projects on site to protect PEAS against defects and deficiencies in the contractors’ work. This includes providing construction administration on the sites on a full-time basis ensuring inspections are performed in a manner that confirms to reported results and report on a weekly basis.
As an organization working to expand equitable access with a strong focus on girls’ and one whose DEI approach is prioritizing increasing gender parity in leadership roles, we strongly encourage applications from female candidates.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct on-site observations and comprehensive checks of work in progress as a basis for determining conformance of work, material, and equipment with the contract documents
- Ensure tests which are required by the contract documents or government regulations are appropriately performed and observed. Record and report to PEAS all details related to the test procedures.
- Serve as liaison between the contractor and the Engineering & Construction team while maintaining a professional relationship with the contractor and all subcontractors on site
- Maintain at the site orderly records for correspondence such as reports of project meetings, addenda, change orders, payrolls, additional drawings, and all other pertinent information.
- Ensure no unauthorized deviations from the contract documents occur on the job sites.
- Keep a daily logbook to record contractor’s hours on the job site, weather conditions, records of visiting officials, daily activities, general and specific observations in detail.
- Receive samples and make proper documentation, notify the Construction Engineer of the readiness for examination, and maintain custody of approved samples.
- Undertake any other tasks delegated by the Construction Engineer which are in line with the scope of the role.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must hold minimum of a Higher Diploma or its equivalent in Construction, Civil and Building Engineering.
- At least two years general experience in building construction and supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee major institutional construction sites.
- Knowledge of standards, codes and regulations that govern construction works in Uganda.
- Ability to maintain records, observe work in progress and compile written reports.
- Ability to interpret and understand all in rate contracts, blueprints, and related construction documents.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to develop positive professional relations with a wide range of people.
- Flexibility to travel and work in remote areas in Uganda.
How to Apply:
All Suitable and qualified candidates should follow this link: Click Here to access full job description, fill the application form for the job.
PEAS is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its recruitment practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool. PEAS is committed to the protection of children, and we do not employ people whose background is not suitable for working with children.
Deadline: Monday 27th June 2022 at 5pm EAT.