Job Title: Communication Specialist
Organization: Humanity & Inclusion
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: WISH2ACTION Project Manager
Basic Salary: UGX 3,601,199
About the US:
Handicap International Federation (operating under the name Humanity & Inclusion) is an independent and impartial aid and development organization working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside disabled and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions, and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
The Women’s Integrated Sexual Health (Lot) 2 Access, Choice, Together, Innovation and Ownership, now (WISH2ACTION) is a comprehensive and integrated approach to delivering family planning and sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR). It prioritizes the most underserved women and girls, particularly youth under 20, the very poor, and marginalized populations (including people with disabilities, displaced populations, or those affected by humanitarian crisis, and people living in hard-to-reach areas). HI is an implementing partner in the WISH2ACTION project consortium and is responsible for disability inclusion across six of the project’s 16 countries of implementation (Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Uganda, South Sudan, Pakistan, and Burundi). WISH2ACTION is a commercial contract from DFID that brings together six internationally recognized leading organizations: HI, Marie Stopes International, OPTIONS, IRC, and DMI along with 11 IPPF Member Associations. The project’s implementation started in 2019. The current phase end in September 2021. HI together with the consortium partner is in the process of submitting the extension proposal to DFID, which will cover 2021- March 2023.
Job Summary: The Communication Specialist will provide support in terms of internal and external communication and support the coordination team in terms of project management country teams, coordination team and consortium partners).
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
insure internal and external communication on the WISH2ACTION project
- Be the focal person for WISH2ACTION in terms of internal and external communications.
- Develop and update communication materials for HI, Consortium partners, and other stakeholders (internal and external communication).
- Insure that DFID, WISH2ACTION, and HI’s visibility guidance are respected in all material developed.
- Provide inputs to country teams on communication (Rules, visibility, material development, etc.).
- Ensure update of pictures database and visibility material.
- Translate communication materials when needed (English and French) for internal and external purposes.
Supports WISH2ACTION events’ management
Support organization of events such as workshops, meetings, support missions:
- Support logistic colleagues with relevant information and updates
- Prepare communications and guidance for participants
- Support the development of materials to be used during workshops (banners, training material, participant’s kits, etc.)
- Ensure support documents are available and filled in (agenda, participant’s forms, support mission’s reports, etc.)
- Ensure workshops are accessible for persons with disabilities
- Support organization of Coordination meetings (project reviews meetings, team meetings, etc.): prepare documents, communicate to participants, prepare reports and meeting minutes, etc.
Supports WISH2ACTION project management
Support to Consortium partners:
- Coordinate the support missions with partners (support to IPPF’s hub and consortium partners): develop and monitor action plan (extension phase)
- Coordinate the remote support with partners (organizes calls, develop and follow-up of the action plan, prepare and send communications, etc.)
- Liaise with MEAL team for necessary documents related to monitoring and evaluation of remote support
- Support to country teams and coordination team:
- Supports in the review of documents form country teams: evidence, reports, project planning.
- Participates to country calls with field teams
- Compiles meeting minutes
- Supports the update of project documents based on needs
- Coordinates and cooperate with technical MC2 colleagues
- Support regular learning exchanges among country-project managers
- Supports on filing records of the project that need filing and archiving for example reports, booklets, etc.
- Supports on printing of bulk materials needed by the MC2 Team like for training, etc.
- Supports the backing up of MC2 Team data.
- Supports on data entry in case the need for it arises.
- Update internal databases with relevant documents (HI Inside, Teams, etc.)
Responsibility: Respect for HI identity, rules, and policies
Aim: HI identity, ethic, rules, and procedures are respected
Benchmark: HI code of conduct and ethic, HI mandate and values, HI rules and operating procedure, HI policies are known, understood, applied and respected by the PM and her/his team
In coordination with the Human resources manager and the Field coordinator:
- Know, understand, apply and respect HI code of conduct and ethics, HI mandate and values, HI rules and operating procedure, HI policies (child protection policy, policy, and mechanism for the prevention of and fight against bribery, the protection of beneficiaries from sexual exploitation and abuse policy) and make sure they are known, understood, applied and respected by its team
- Know, understand, apply, and respect HI security rules and make sure they are known, understood, and applied by her/his team.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience:
- The applicant for the Humanity & Inclusion Communication Specialist job placement must hold a post-graduate qualification is an added advantage
- Bachelor’s degree in Communication, Public relations or project management or related discipline
- At least 3 years of professional experience in communications and Events Management.
- At least one year of practical experience in Project Management.
- Proven experience in developing communication materials
- Proven experience in events management
- Budget Monitoring Skills
- Perfect fluency in written and oral English and strong report writing skills;
- Familiar with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), internet, Graphics Design, and digital technologies
- Fluently in French will be an added advantage
- Ability to work under high pressure;
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills
- Strong communication and networking skills
- Strong interest in the fields related to HI mandate
- Strong team player and ability to work independently
Starting Date: 1st September 2020
Length of contract: 12 months (with the possibility of extension)
Basic Salary: UGX 3,601,199
How to Apply:
If you feel you meet the requirements, please send an updated CV (3 pages max, including three professional referees current and/or past line managers) with a cover letter as One Document to the HR department at firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the position applied for.
NB: Any efforts to influence the recruitment process will lead to automatic disqualification.
Deadline: 5th July 2020 by 3:00 pm