Job Title: Data Manager (89 Job Opportunities)
Organisation: African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Established in 2005, African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) is a non-profit networking and service alliance of Field Epidemiology (and Laboratory) Training Programs (FELTPs) and other applied epidemiology training programs. AFENET has operations in over 31 countries in Sub-Saharan Africa and 5 countries in the Caribbean region. AFENET is dedicated to helping Ministries of Health in Africa build strong, effective, sustainable programs and capacity to improve public health systems on the African continent. The network’s goal is to strengthen field epidemiology and public health laboratory capacity to contribute effectively to addressing epidemics and other major public health problems in countries where we operate. AFENET has its headquarters in Kampala, Uganda.
Job Summary: The Data Managers will be attached to the MoH and will be responsible for supporting data management systems, such as DHIS 2. They will also provide support to Member States to manage vaccination data.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Under the overall supervision of the Head of Administration and Management, the Data Manager is expected to provide support to Africa CDC and the member states by doing
- Design, develop, and modify data management infrastructure to expedite data analysis and reporting
- Provide guidance in identifying and defining data requirements
- Design and develop databases that are compatible with Africa CDC needs
- Participates in the development, implementation, and maintenance of policies, objectives, short- and long-range IT planning, with an emphasis on advocating for the needs of the area(s) supported; implements tracking and evaluation programs to assist in accomplishment of established goals.
- Participates in the documentation and implementation of policies and standard operating procedures for data handling and archiving consistent with those of Africa CDC and member state to ensure effective operation of an organization.
- Participate in development of IT Service Catalog offerings, Service Level Agreements, Operating Level Agreements consistent with the needs of the organization.
- Maintains currency of knowledge with respect to relevant state-of-the-art technology, equipment, and/or systems.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Candidates must have a University Master’s degree in computer science with certification for hardware and software support (server, desktops, printers, and laptops) and should be Certified Systems Engineers in Server Administration, network, infrastructure, and messaging suites with three to four years of relevant professional experience in a similar position, preferably in an international organization
- Candidates must have a University Bachelor’s degree in computer science with certification for hardware and software support (server, desktops, printers, and laptops) and should be Certified Systems Engineers in Server Administration, network, infrastructure, and messaging suites with five to seven years of relevant professional experience in a similar position, preferably in an international organization
- Excellent practical knowledge of a wide range of modern ICT technologies and specifically, in the area of data management is required.
- Candidates must possess a minimum of five (5) years progressive professional experience in relevant area
- Ability to develop and manage programs within an agreed time frame.
- Experience working in a fast-paced international organization is highly desirable.
- Excellent writing skills in English and ability to work with more than one AUofficial language would be an added advantage; and,
- Excellent computer skills;
- Ability to deliver under tight deadlines and works well under pressure.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Able to operate in a multicultural environment.
- High level of autonomy at work, yet with profound team-spirit.
- Adaptive, Patient, resilient and flexible.
- Pro-active and solutions oriented.
- Language Requirement: Applicants must be proficient in at least one of the African Union working languages (English, French, Arabic, Portuguese, Spanish or Swahili). Knowledge of two or more of African Union. Working languages would be an added advantage.
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a fixed term contract of which the first three months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be renewed annually subject to satisfactory performance and fund availability.
- Gender Mainstreaming: The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Remuneration: For International hires indicative pay is US$ 6,000 per month. For local hires, the indicative pay is US$ 3,000 per month.
How to Apply:
All candidates should submit their updated resumes, application letter, and relevant documentation to:
All interested candidates are welcome to apply by either of these two means.
The Ministry of Health or the National Public Health Institute of member state can submit a maximum of three CVs for a position
Or send applications to;
The Administration & Human Resource Office,
African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET)
https://recruitment.afenet.net and a copy on Email: email@example.com
NB: ONLY successful candidates shall be contacted for an interview.
Deadline; 7th April 2023 by 5:30 pm (EAT)