Job Title: Data Quality Assurance Officer (2 Fresher Jobs)
Organisation: Education Development Center (EDC)
Duty Station: Gulu, Uganda
Education Development Center (EDC) is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. Established in 1958, EDC designs, delivers and evaluates innovative programs to address some of the world’s most urgent challenges in education, health, and economic opportunity. Our services include research, training, educational materials, and strategy, with activities ranging from seed projects to large-scale national and international initiatives.
About USAID Project:
The goal of the five-year, USAID-funded Integrated Child and Youth Development (ICYD) Activity is for Ugandan children and youth, especially the most vulnerable, to receive the support and services necessary to lead resilient, healthy, and productive lives.
ICYD Cohort 3 Baseline
To capture data prior to launch of reading interventions in Cohort 3 districts, ICYD will conduct a baseline reading assessment from October to November 2022. The baseline assessment will use the EGRA tool to measure reading levels and will test a representative sample of schools targeted by ICYD in Cohort 3 Leblango and LebAcoli speaking districts (Agago, Gulu, Kwania, Oyam, Apac, Kitgum, Lira, Dokolo, Kole and Omoro). The reading assessment will target pupils in P2. Data from this baseline will be used to measure progress over the project’s five-year period. The results of the baseline will be shared with USAID, the Ministry of Education and Sports and other donors working in education. The baseline assessment will consist of four critical instruments: 1) A standardized literacy test, based on key foundational skills that a child needs to master to be able to read fluently, and adapted to Leblango and LebAcoli; 2) Learner context tool; 3) Teacher interview; and 4) Headteacher interview.
Job Summary: ICYD will recruit two (2) Data Quality Assurance Officers who will be responsible for planning and facilitating training of supervisors and assessors, guiding field teams during data collection to adhere to the set procedures, daily upload of data collected, ensuring security of the equipment assigned to the team, and preparation and submission of a fieldwork report.
The Data Quality Assurance Officers will be contracted for a maximum period of 25 working days (October – November 2022). All honoraria and expenses will be paid by ICYD.
** Please note that this is a local temporary position. Eligibility is limited to Ugandan nationals**
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in the planning meeting to review EGRA data collection tools;
- Provide active leadership and participation in assessor training, including preparation and recording of gold standards to be used during IRRs and uploading of tools on to the tablets for all teams;
- Ensure that with the help of supervisors, all teams have necessary supplies and equipment needed to undertake both electronic and paper data collection;
- Organize transport for each team to get to the school before lessons start for the day. Program hired vehicles will be available for this purpose;
- Ensure that data is collected in a standard fashion by making routine spot checks/team audits to ensure that the teams are in their assigned areas and that the sampled respondents are actually the people who are being interviewed;
- Complete “assessor observation checklist” for each assessor once during the first week of field work, then sporadically after that.
- Quickly communicate any problems arising to the ICYD M&E team;
- Routinely check assessments for completeness and errors.
- Provide guidance to the teams using the compiled data reports from the quality checks
- Participate in team daily debrief sessions.
- Collect the tablets, ensure that they are in good working order, and they are charged for the next day’s field work
- Count and review the material used during the day and see what needs to be replenished,
- Review progress made on the routes assigned and if necessary, restructure according to needs,
- Collect all completed consent forms and UPLOAD all data onto the cloud
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Humanities, Social Sciences, Arts, Economics, Statistics or Education
- Previous experience facilitating EGRA or other data collection trainings.
- Previous experience as an EGRA Supervisor preferred.
- Other research experience with public and/or private education preferred.
- Experience managing diverse teams of data collectors/assessors.
- Previous experience using electronic data collection software.
- Fluency in English and Leblango or LebAcoli required. Please indicate language fluency in your application
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested applicants should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 23rd September 2022