Job Title: Data Scientist – Business Intelligence
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Head of Business Intelligence
Application opening: 24th August 2022
Tugende uses asset finance, technology, and a customer-centric model to help informal sector entrepreneurs dramatically increase their economic trajectory. Tugende’s core asset finance packages include medical and life insurance, training, safety equipment and digital credit profiles in addition to affordable asset financing for SMEs. By helping clients grow economically and build digital track records of responsibility, we are creating a long-term ecosystem for MSMEs to grow and thrive.
Tugende is tackling the credit gap for small businesses in Africa by enabling informal entrepreneurs to: 1) own income‑generating assets, 2) build a verifiable digital credit profile, and 3) earn future growth opportunities through the Tugende digital platform. This platform includes discounts, smartphones, e‑commerce opportunities, and on‑demand credit lines. Tugende has financed 52,000+ productive asset leases valued at over USD 35 million. The company has 750+ employees serving clients across 23 branches in Uganda and 10 in Kenya. Tugende is growing into new geographies and asset product lines including boat engines for fishermen and fridges for retail shops.
Job Summary: The data scientist will be part of Tugende’s Business Intelligence team and will work full-time. The data scientist will report to the Head of Business Intelligence will be responsible for creating reports, designing automated solutions, and providing support and training in areas that require reporting and the use of Tugende’s business intelligence solutions. As Tugende grows its global footprint, the function will equivalently grow.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: The Tugende Data Scientist will be required to perform the following key activities:
Business Intelligence Solution Development, Reporting and Tracking
- Develop robust business intelligence tools to automate extraction, transformation and loading from ERPs, CRMs and other systems such as MS Dynamics, Salesforce, Odoo and external Application Programming Interfaces using Power BI, Google Sheets, MS Excel tools, Tableau and Python.
- Connect to a multitude of data sources and systems in real-time using Power BI, Google Sheets, Tableau and MS Excel.
- Design and develop interactive dashboards to track KPIs, visualize trend analysis and drive strategic execution for different business needs aligned to Tugende’s strategic targets.
- Generate daily, weekly and monthly business reports such as performance reports highlighting performance for different strategic targets such as revenue, bottom line, customer satisfaction and territorial/branch performance.
Analytics, Forecasting, Insights and Recommendations
- Develop forecasts for key business operations using languages such as python, data analysis expressions and any other language integrable with Power BI to highlight new insights and areas of focus for a given planning period to enhance data-driven decision making strategies.
- Provide strategic recommendations driven by data insights and forecasts generated for key stakeholders at Tugende.
- Validate predictive models to ensure reliability of forecasts using tools such as the confusion matrix, ROC curve or back testing.
- Provide analytical support to the analytics team.
Learning and Development
- Train and skill users of the developed reporting tools.
- Train BI analysts hired for similar roles to assist in onboarding and succession planning.
Documentation and Standards
- Document user manuals to ease use of developed BI applications.
- Work closely with data teams to assist in adherence of the BI Charter.
- Collaborate with data scientists, engineers and other BI analysts to ensure and improve data availability, quality, integrity and model reliability.
Note: This job description gives a general guideline, and therefore does not include an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
Qualification and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelors’ degree in Statistics, Finance, Computer Science, Economics, Information Systems or equivalent. Desired.
- Minimum 2 – 3 years of work experience in data science, statistics, financial analysis or similar, particularly in sectors such as microfinance, retail financial services, and/or professional services.
- Experience with a database management system such as MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle, Postgres is desired but not a necessity.
- Experience in using version control tools such as Git.
Preferred skills, knowledge & abilities:
- Ability to work with at least one programming language (preferably python), a business intelligence tool (tableau or PowerBI,), and spreadsheet programs(MS Excel or Google sheets).
- A deep understanding of Data Analysis Expressions (DAX) especially working with variables and time intelligence.
- Analytical skills and business judgement with ability to synthesize and interpret qualitative and quantitative data into practical strategy execution recommendations for key decision making.
- Ability to query databases using business intelligence tools.
- Comfortable with basic finance, credit and operational reporting.
Personal Attributes and Abilities:
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills.
- Adaptable, self-driven and able to work in fast paced environments.
- Ability to collaborate and coordinate with various teams physically and remotely in order to achieve business goals.
- Ability to finish tasks within or before stipulated deadlines.
- Problem-solving and out of the box thinking skills are advantageous.
- Good written and spoken English.
- Soft skills that align with Tugende core values:
The preferred candidate must be willing and ready to embrace our shared values at Tugende as a whole:
- We operate with empathy and understanding for everyone (Including; Coach and cheerleader, Dignity, highly approachable, and Exceptional customer experience; prioritize the customer’s experience)
- We are solutions-oriented (Including; Courage, Being proactive, Operational excellence, and Follow-through and ownership)
- We are always growing (Including; Learning, Innovating and striving to improve, Meritocracy; provides opportunity based on merit)
- We have integrity in all decisions (Including; Fair / honest, Good judgment, Critical thinking)
- We work as a team (Including; being Humble, Dependable and Supportive)
- Professionalism: Maintains professionalism when corresponding with partners/investors. In addition, being Empathetic and personable when dealing with Tugende stakeholders
- Positive Attitude: main a mindset of “getting things done” and finding satisfaction in developing sustainable long-term solutions at all times
- Flexible and resilient: Willingness to travel, flexible in schedule and work hours, seek direct feedback and see every challenge as an opportunity to grow.
What will you gain?
- Career Trajectory: This role has a significant potential to grow as the company and the Business Intelligence team grows. The person in this role should expect to grow with the team and take on increasing responsibilities.
- Learning Points: In this position you will be able to learn how to excel in a fast paced, data driven environment. You will learn or build upon your existing knowledge in applying robust data analytics models to drive decision
- Meaningful Work: Tugende’s work gives entrepreneurs the tools to earn a living for themselves and their families. We are helping people take control of their economic future and move up the economic ladder. Help be part of this movement!
- Great Team: Tugende has a smart, fun, and growing team of 750+ Employees. We take our work seriously but love to joke and have fun. We regularly have fully-paid, voluntary team outings, as well as fun parties for our staff. Our headquarters are in Kampala and we are growing our presence across East Africa.
- Hours and compensation: This position is for an ambitious, full-time employee who will take on additional responsibilities and projects as they arise. Tugende offers competitive salaries and benefits that reflect a person’s contributions to the company’s mission and growth.
More About Tugende:
Tugende means “let’s go” in Luganda and what you see when you get on the back of a motorcycle-taxi and it signifies the company’s mission. Tugende has been recognized as a 2012 Unreasonable Fellow, 2014 Echoing Green Global Fellow, 2016 GSBI Fellow, and received the MIT Zambezi prize in 2015 as one of the top 3 financial inclusion start-ups in Africa. We have appeared in The Guardian, BBC, Economist, 2021 Inclusive Fintech50! Award Winner, African Banker 2022 Financial Inclusion Award, the lend a hand blog, and Reuters video. Beyond geographic growth, Tugende’s future includes multiple asset finance products and tools to help Tugende reach millions of clients across Africa without losing high touch personal support.
How to Apply:
All candidates should apply online at the link below.