Job Title: Driver
Organisation: Education Development Center (EDC)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity, with a focus on vulnerable and under-served populations. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
About USAID Project:
The goal of the five-year, USAID-funded Integrated Child and Youth Development (ICYD) Activity is for Ugandan children and youth, especially the most vulnerable, to receive the support and services necessary to lead resilient, healthy, and productive lives.
Job Summary: The Driver will provide transport services, administrative and other logistical support to USAID/Uganda- ICYD Activity staff, visitors and stakeholders in accordance with EDC’s fleet management policy guidelines and procedures. This position reports to the Logistics Manager. This is a full-time position based in Kampala offices, but will be required to work with cross functional teams within the organization across the country.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Provide transportation, using EDC vehicles, of goods, staff and other authorized passengers in accordance with EDC policies and procedures;
· Daily operation and maintenance the vehicle assigned to the driver in a manner that ensures the highest degree of safety possible for the vehicle and its passengers;
· Keep accurate and up to date records using the vehicle and fuel log sheets provided;
· Inspect and be vigilant at all times for the detection of any faults and/or damage to the assigned vehicle, whether accidental or otherwise, and submit a written report of such faults and damage as soon as possible to the Supervisor;
· Ensure that EDC policies and procedures for safe vehicle operation and risk mitigation, such as proper use of door locks, parking in secure locations and timing of trips, are followed;
· Submit to the Supervisor the monthly vehicle utilization report summarizing vehicle/fuel use and vehicle repair/maintenance. This report will be accompanied by the fuel and vehicle log sheets for the period of the report;
· Prepare and submit the Weekly Control Sheet to the Supervisor for review and schedule repairs and maintenance as necessary;
· Willing to accept additional responsibilities as assigned from time to time by the Supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the Education Development Center (EDC) USAID project job must hold a UCE certificate or its equivalent, proof of training in defensive driving and basic computer skills.
· Must have a valid driver’s license with all classes and a safe driving record with no traffic violations;
· At least five years’ experience as a professional driver with a reputable organization; experience working on a USAID financed project is a plus;
· Good awareness and commitment to follow all local and national driving laws, rules and regulations;
· High level of integrity and attention to detail;
· Ability to proficiently read, speak and write in English;
· Experience driving four-wheel drive vehicles and driving on unpaved rural roads;
· Practical experience in maintaining vehicles and conducting minor repairs;
· Ability to make frequent up-country travels, often long-distance and sometimes overnight;
· Must have excellent inter-personal skills;
· Ability to remain calm in high-stress situations such as road accidents, bad weather conditions and impatient drivers;
· Must be reliable, dependable, flexible and willing to work beyond routine hours;
· Previous training in safe vehicle operation/defensive driving preferred.
· Language: Fluency in English is required.
How to Apply:
All candidates should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 11th December 2020