Job Title: Driver
Organization: United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Job Opening Number: RSCE/IC/001/01/2021
Reports to: Administrative Assistant
The Regional Service Centre Steering Committee is the decision-making body for RSCE, in compliance with General Assembly resolutions, United Nations Secretariat rules and regulations, strategic guidance from United Nations Headquarters and oversight bodies. The Steering Committee consults with the Global Field Support Strategy Implementation Coordination Team, as required.
Job Summary: The Driver will perform a wide range of safe, reliable, courteous and discreet ground transportation and support services for various stakeholders of the RSCE.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Within delegated authority, the Driver will perform the following duties according to the needs of the service lines within the RSCE:
· Transport authorized Conference services Clients, RSCE and UN staff, high- ranking officials and visitors to and from their respective destinations safely, including picking them from and dropping them to the airport, after-hours when necessary.
· Assist official personnel and visitors with completing visa and customs formalities at the airport when required.
· Assist various RSCE offices with events logistical arrangements, filing, collection and distribution of mail, packages and correspondences, both incoming and outgoing.
· Keep abreast of road traffic conditions, Safety and Security broadcasts, event schedules, weather and other relevant information and use familiarity of the local area to select among alternative routes those that facilitate punctual arrivals and departures.
· Operate assigned UN vehicular assets properly and in accordance with the requirements of the Service Centre, the regulations of the United Nations and the laws of the host country and ensure availability during their operation of all required documents/supplies such as insurance, vehicle logs, first aid kit, necessary spare parts, etc.
· Provide adequate day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through effecting timely arranging for minor and major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, water levels and coolant, washing, etc so that the said vehicle is kept clean and in good running condition at all times;
· Keep required supervisory and managerial entities updated about all incidents and ensure that all designated SOPs are observed for any vehicle breakdowns and accidents.
· Perform any other duties as assigned by the management.
Key Expected Outputs
· Stakeholders of the RSCE are afforded safe, reliable, courteous and discreet ground transportation and support services, where dully authorized.
· Relevant RSCE offices are dully supported with carrying out certain logistical arrangements and deliveries.
· UN vehicular assets are properly maintained and consistently operated in accordance with legal and safety standards.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE) Driver job placement should hold a High school diploma or equivalent. Required.
· A valid national driving license with classes B, C, D and E is required.
· Knowledge of driving rules and regulations, chauffeur protocol and courtesies, and local roads and conditions, and defensive driving skills is desirable.
· Technical training as Motor Vehicle Technician (National Technician Certificate or equivalent) is desirable.
· At least three years of work experience as a driver with a safe driving record is required.
· Experience in an international organization, non-governmental organization, embassy or the United Nations common field operation is desirable.
· Languages: For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
· Professionalism: Knowledge of administrative and transportation policies, processes and procedures generally and those related to the Front Office of a Senior Management Official. Knowledge of administrative and logistical rules and regulations and ability to research and gather information from a variety of standard sources and to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
· Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
· Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
· Client orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps a client informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of product or services to client
How to Apply:
How to Apply:
All applicants must apply using a Personal History Profile (PHP) generated from INSPIRA (visit https://inspira.un.org) as soon as possible after the Terms of Reference have been posted and well before the deadline stated therein.
· All applications must be accompanied by the following which MUST be provided at the time of submission:
o Signed Personal History Profile (PHP) as generated from INSPIRA (visit https://inspira.un.org to generate an account and the PHP) submitted as a PDF or JPEG attachment to the document.
o Copies of the required education qualifications.
o Latest performance evaluation report (for internal UN Candidates)
o Copy of valid driving license
o Copies of other relevant certificates and diplomas.
· Please note that only applications submitted to the email address: rsce2- [email protected] will be considered. No hand-delivered applications will be accepted.
· Please enter the reference of the job opening reference (RSCE/IC/OO1/01/2021) in the subject line of your e-mail.
· Each applicant must bear in mind that submission of incomplete or inaccurate applications will render that applicant ineligible for consideration.
· Initial screening and evaluation of applications will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted. Applications cannot be amended following submission.
· The position is OPEN TO NATIONALS OF UGANDA AND / OR LEGAL RESIDENTS OF UGANDA ONLY.
· Evaluation of qualified candidates will include an assessment exercise which may be followed by a competency-based interview.
· Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted further.
· The successful candidate will be required to submit a certificate of good conduct from Interpol, prior to onboarding.
Deadline: 7thFebruary 2021