Job Title: Driver
Organization: Jane Goodall Institute (JGI)
Duty Station: Hoima, Uganda
Reports to: Operations Manager, Uganda
About US: Opened in 1991, the Jane Goodall Institute (JGI) Uganda country program office’s mission is to understand and protect chimpanzees, other apes, and their habitats, and to work towards creating an informed and compassionate critical mass of people who will help to create a better world, other animals, and our shared environment. We design and implement programs to ensure the conservation of chimpanzees and their habitats throughout Uganda and to build effective collaboration between local communities, governments, researchers, and conservation practitioners. We focus our efforts on increasing the capacity of local government and forest-adjacent communities to manage protected areas, engage communities in natural resource management sustainable livelihoods, and educate students about chimpanzees, wildlife, and sustainable environmental conservation.
Job Summary: The Driver will provide safe, reliable transport using JGI-Uganda vehicles for country program personnel to project sites, to and from Kampala, and other places with within Uganda on an as-needed basis. Duty station is in Hoima.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure maximum security of passengers and the vehicle.
- Transport project equipment, materials, supplies and documents to project sites.
- Maintain up-to-date record keeping systems for vehicle issues including fuel, mileage, and trip logs.
- Ensure that vehicle usage log is updated on a daily basis and submitted on a monthly basis.
- Prepare monthly fuel consumption report is submitted as required.
- Maintain the cleanliness of the vehicle.
- Punctuality and a respectful, helpful demeanor are essential.
- Performs related work as assigned. Ideally, the driver will support country program staff in carrying their work.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- O-Level School Certificate
- Valid Driving Permit.
- Clean driving record.
- Three years of uninterrupted work experience as a driver, preferably in an NGO setting.
- Basic technical knowledge of motor vehicle operations, simple vehicle repairs/adjustments.
- Thorough knowledge of traffic laws and regulations, including the highway code and principles of road safety.
- Training in Defensive Driving is an added advantage.
How to Apply: All qualified candidates should send their application letter with supporting documents (detailed Curriculum Vitae or Resume; Scanned Copies of Education certificate and valid driving permit; Three References from previous employers; Telephone contacts and E-mail addresses) to James Hutchins, [email protected] Deadline: 21st May 2021 by MidnightNB: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.