Job Title: Driver
Organisation: Plan International
Duty Station: Kamuli, Uganda
Reports to: Fleet Coordinator
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And its girls who are most affected. Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children. We have been building powerful partnerships for children for more than 80 years, and are now active in more than 75 countries.
Job Summary: This role is responsible for driving PIU vehicles in accordance with the transport policy and procedures in order to enhance mobility of staff for efficiency and effectiveness.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure the provision of transport services that will support PIU’s staff in a safe, healthy, secure and environmentally sensitive manner; Support office administration:
- Observe and adhere to the safety precautions before and during driving taking into account prevailing weather and driving conditions to avoid accidents
- Drive vehicles carefully and safely in accordance with the traffic laws and regulations of Uganda, and with PIU policies and procedures including the fleet management manual
- Give attention to the physical wellbeing of passengers, providing comfort breaks and other assistance as required; at all times treating passengers with courtesy and friendliness
- Deliver and collect mail and other documents to and from various offices, post office regularly and ensure its safety as and when requested
- Support the administrative function in collecting ordered office supplies/ consumables
- Run office errands as requested
- Ensure proper maintenance and management of PIU’s vehicles; In collaboration with the Fleet Coordinator, ensure the procurement of all the goods and services necessary for timely and environmentally sensitive completion of PIU’s fleet:
- Carry out daily inspection checks to ensure that the vehicle is in good running order with valid insurance policies; record any cases requiring future action
- Ensuring that vehicles are equipped with all necessary breakdown and safety equipment and that such are in full working order
- Conduct monthly inspection of the assigned vehicle and inform the supervisor of any observation that needs attention
- Keep the vehicle in a clean condition in order to uphold the image of PIU and for the convenience of the users
- Monitor vehicle due date servicing and report on any need for repair
- Serve as the contact person for vehicle repairs and servicing and review invoices and services reports before they are submitted for payment
- Follow up to ensure that maintenance work is done on time and inspect vehicles after repair or maintenance work has been completed to ensure that repairs are completed satisfactorily to the required standard
- Ensure vehicle records are kept up to date, and timely reports submitted:
- Record the place of destination before departure and complete the vehicle usage record to indicate vehicle movement
- Make motor vehicle monthly fuel reconciliations, reports and fleet compliance reports
- Identify and report all mechanical faults and any accidents immediately to the supervisor so that appropriate action is taken
- Train and test drivers and riders as may be requested, and submit the recommendation to the supervisor
Safeguarding, Gender Equality & Inclusion
- Ensure that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must hold an O’ level certificate
- Valid driving licence for classes CM, DL & DM, with no penalties
- A certificate in Defensive Driving is desirable
- A certificate in Customer care is an added advantage
- At least three years’ experience working as a driver, in relatively large organisations of similar complexity to Plan International
- Leadership Competencies
- Myself as a Leader
- Behaves in line with our values, bringing energy and commitment to the task of safeguarding girls, children, young people, vulnerable adults and colleagues; constructive and optimistic in facing challenges and change.
- Focuses effort where it will make the best contribution to PIU’s purpose and strategic goals; takes the initiative to find new and better ways of doing work.
- Understands and adheres to the policies, processes, practices and standards relevant to own work; honest and efficient in use of resources, including own time.
- Acts as a good team player, communicating effectively and being open and supportive towards those around them; is aware of the potential impact of their behaviour on others and makes sensitive choices.
- Inclusive & Empowering
- Collaborates with team members, colleagues and partners in an active and engaged manner; shares information, experience and ideas with the aim of helping or empowering others.
- Takes responsibility for own performance and development: reflecting, seeking and listening to feedback, learning from mistakes, finding people or resources to help them learn, keeping knowledge and skills up to date.
- Good track record of planning and organising work effectively; managing time to deliver results against agreed priorities, objectives and quality requirements, to time and within budget.
- Good track record of responding positively to organisational change initiatives; demonstrated openness to new ideas and willingness to put learning into practice in the workplace.
- Good written and spoken communication skills, including in English, with an ability to effectively adjust content and presentation so as to connect with an audience.
- Good teamworking skills, including an ability to listen well to others, appreciate viewpoints, and respond positively to diversity.
- Knowledge of basic Mechanical repairs
- Basic computer knowledge
- Defensive Driving
How to Apply:
All Qualified and interested candidates should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 18th November 2022