Job Title: Economic Recovery and Development Officer
Organisation: International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Duty Station: Uganda
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities which support them, as well as those who remain within their homes and communities. At work today in over 40 countries and 25 U.S. cities, we improve outcomes in the areas of health, safety, economic wellbeing, education, and power.
Job Summary: The IRC’s Economic Recovery and Development (ERD) sector is seeking to hire an ERD Officer to be based in Yumbe field office. The ERD officer will be responsible for the implementing Agriculture, Agri-business, financial inclusion, vocational skill initiatives and other activities aimed at building resilience of refugees and host community members in and around bidibidi settlement, Yumbe district.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with ERD Assistant and community Volunteers to mobilize the community to engage in agriculture activities
- Train farmer groups on Good Agronomic Practices, monitor and provide agriculture related support to farmer groups
- Promote proper post-harvest handling technologies and value addition among farming groups
- Plan for joint monitoring visit with stakeholders in Bidibidi settlement.
- Plan and participate in farmers’ day, world food day, trade fairs and other relevant celebrations.
- Create linkages between farmer groups and relevant private sector actors
- Ensure all agricultural activities are properly documented using approved tools.
- Participate in resolving conflict and violence among farmer groups and provide feedback to ERD Manager.
- Support formation, mentoring, training, and supervision of collective marketing committees
- Develop Marketing quarterly and donor reports for the Agribusiness activities.
- Organize farmer groups to sell collectively to potential buyers.
- Facilitate the formation of VSLAs following the VSLA principles and methodology
- Train volunteers and VSLAs on VSLAs component
- Conduct enterprise selection and business skill training to VSLAs
- Support VSLA to register at the sub county or district to obtain certificates
- Support linkages of VSLAs to formal financial institutions
- Support routine monitoring and mentorship of VSLAs
- Support business registration with the district and sub county offices
- Support business grant processes to VSLAs.
- Work with financial institutions to conduct financial literacy training to VSLAs
Vocational Skills Development
- Collaborate with other project stakeholders to Identify youths out of schools and register them to attend vocational skills training
- Profile the different skills demanded by youths for placement or apprenticeship
- Map out apprenticeship training centers or placement centers for youths’ training Monitor the vocational skills development training of the youths and report the progress
- Plan with the instructors or institution for the graduation of the successful trainees
- Provide follow on support and mentorship to graduates of vocational skills training
Monitoring, Reporting and Coordination
- Prepare weekly program reports, and compile lessons learnt to inform the future program
- Collect relevant data during project implementation and provide regular reports to ERD Manager,
- Coordinate with the M&E staff and the wider ERD team where necessary to identify program quality issues
- Participate in the collection of data during assessments and post distribution surveys as and when required
- Participate in the verification exercise or MEAL research when needed
- Verify all records submitted by volunteers for agriculture activities before submission to M&E Officer.
- Produce activity completion reports for all agricultural activities implemented.
- Submit a comprehensive quarterly report on implementation of agricultural activities to the supervisor.
- Participate in weekly and monthly internal planning meetings and present monthly activity plan to the ERD manager Based on monthly activity plan prepare a monthly activity report and present to the ERD manager during the monthly planning meeting
- Participate in program planning to identify and develop ideas for projects and contribute to proposal preparation as assigned.
- Participate in collection of labor market information and other sector assessments
- Support HR and ERD sector to recruit ERD volunteers. Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should preferably hold a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture, Agribusiness, Food Security, Sustainable agriculture, or related field at degree level.
- At least three years of experience implementing Agriculture, VSLA, Vocational skills, cash for work, cash voucher programs Experience working with Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) proven abilities in beneficiary identification, registration & selection required.
- Demonstrated skills and competencies, in developing work-plans, data collection and analysis and program reporting.
- Strong ability to organize work, meet deadlines, maintain composure, priorities work under pressure.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills, creativity, and flexibility.
- Works well with others and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well
- Good knowledge of word processing tools, excel and spreadsheets (computer skills).
- Fluent in the local dialect of West Nile.
- At least three years of experience in motorcycle riding and with valid riding permit.
Please note: This position is open only to Ugandan nationals.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested applicants should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 18th August 2022