Job Title: Engineering Assistant
Organisation: United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Reports to: Deputy Director RSCE
Job Opening Number: 22-Engineering-RSCE-190961-J-Entebbe (X)
The Regional Service Centre in Entebbe, Uganda (RSCE) was established in July 2010, following the adoption of General Assembly resolution 64/269. The Centre provides efficient, client-oriented and scalable services with the goal of moving transactional, non-location dependent administrative functions to the Centre from its client entities. This includes transactional elements of human resources, finance, multimodal movement and control, personnel and cargo transport and information and communications technology (ICT) support.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: Within delegated authority, the Engineering Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Supervises and coordinates activities in resolving technical site problems, providing technical specification and cost estimates related to any RSCE assignments, planning and scheduling of projects for maintenance, repair, and installation on the premises.
- Supervises and coordinates activities concerning projects for installations, systems and equipment.
- Performs project management activities coordinating alteration works to ensure that the quality of contractors’ services is in accordance with set terms and conditions, codes and standards as well as health and safety rules and regulations.
- Performs activities related to commissioning of engineering works, including periodical and final inspection.
- Liaises with projects stakeholders to arrive at mutually satisfactory approaches to problems.
- Updates Supervisors/Managers periodically on projects status. Planning and design: of all minor and major projects.
- Applies commonly used engineering design practices and precedents for site projects.
- Carries out site visits, technical assessments and prototype inspections.
- Analyzes project proposals to assess technical feasibility and resources estimation.
- Prepares technical specifications, drawings, bills of quantity and cost estimates necessary for the preparation of SORs/SOWs for bidding packages.
- Checks, verifies and recommends for approvals to Management on all invoices/Claims submitted by contactors during the implementation phase as per UN procurement rules and ensure all technical inputs and cost estimates are accurate, timely provided and included in the project proposals and budgets.
- Provides specialized support in carrying out technical assessments of existing buildings and infrastructure.
- Preparing draft proposals for alteration work including preparation of technical specifications, bills of quantity and cost estimates necessary for solicitation of quotations from the open market.
- Participates in technical review of offers submitted and studies drawings and sketches for review and discussion to determine extent of work required; presents alternatives as solution of problems. Accompanies all contractors to job locations, clarifies drawings and specifications after contract has been awarded to successful contractor.
- Reviews and evaluates technical offers and coordinates with procurement unit.
- Participates in the preparation of cost estimates for biennial budget and acquisition plan related to the Unit/Section accounts.
- Suggests ways to institute control and methods to improve services and reduce costs for the United Nations.
- Coordinates with Security and Safety team on their investigation on safety and fire hazard situations associated with installation done by the Unit.
- Ensures that daily activities are in accordance are in compliance with the UN Environmental and Waste Management Policies, and in line with the UN Environmental Strategy objectives
- Acts as Team Leader as required.
- Performs other duties as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE) Engineering Assistant job must hold a High school diploma or equivalent. Required.
- A technical/vocational diploma/certificate in engineering or related area is required.
- At least seven (7) years of experience in facilities management, building management, engineering, architecture, administrative services or related area is required.
- One year of working experience in computer aided design software such as Autocad or similar is required.
- Experience in structural design analysis is desirable.
- Experience in the use of engineering tools and management of studio equipment is desirable.
- Experience in MS Office is required
- Languages: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of rules and regulations pertaining to construction, building management and industry codes and standards. Knowledge in structural design analysis and systems design for buildings and infrastructure. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
NB: The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, or training). The United Nations does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join the United Nations should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 5th October 2022