Job Title: Field Associate (Fresher UN Jobs)
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Duty Station: Arua, Uganda
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Field Associate is normally supervised by the (Senior) Field Officer or Head of Office and performs a variety of functions related to Field activities within the office. The supervisor defines general work objectives and provides necessary advice and guidance. The Field Associate may supervise some General Service support staff.
The incumbent keeps frequent internal contacts with staff members in the same duty station to exchange information, to establish understanding of respective needs; to ensure provision of services and resolution of problems and with the external contacts generally with officials of national and international institutions, leaders of the refugee community, local population and/or Implementing Partners (IPs) on subject matters which may be of importance to the Organization.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Keenly monitor the situation in the AoR, collect data and other information relevant to UNHCR and report to the supervisor accordingly.
- Monitor the implementation of UNHCR programme including the delivery of all assistance items and monitoring of infrastructure.
- Undertake regular visits to various sites in order to assess needs of persons of concern, with particular attention to vulnerable groups.
- Keep regular contacts with local authorities and implementing partners as requested by supervisor.
- Act as interpreter when required.
- Contribute to the preparation of status and progress reports by providing info, preparing tables, etc.
- Assist in administrative tasks as required such as preparation of reports and meeting authorized personnel and assisting them during field missions.
- Inform and act on the reports received on persons of concern within the refugee community or from the local authorities.
- In coordination with implementing partners, assist in the reception, registration and provision of assistance to persons of concern to UNHCR.
- Negotiate with local authority counterparts, partners and populations of concern.
- Represent UNHCR in physical monitoring of projects.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the UNHCR job should have three years of relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher qualification
- Certificates and/or Licenses: Business Administration, Law, Political Science
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position is desirable
- UNHCR field experience.
- Language Requirements: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- *IT-Computer Literacy
- CO-Drafting and Documentation
- CL-Multi-stakeholder Communications with Partners, Government & Community
- PG-Programme Management (programme cycles and reporting standards)
NB: Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential.
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 15th June 2023