Job Title: Finance Director
Duty Station: Nsambya, Kampala, Uganda
Job Duration: Full Time
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
Benefits: Health insurance and comprehensive benefits
SPOUTS is a social venture that locally manufactures and distributes effective ceramic water filters to improve the access to clean drinking water sustainably in Uganda. In addition, we locally manufacture free hand-washing stations to improve access to hygiene. Our mission is to provide clean drinking water and hygiene services to all East Africans.
We currently sell multiple water filter products under the brand name “Purifaaya”. The Purifaaya provides financial, social, and health benefits for its customers in addition to environmental benefits.
Since SPOUTS sold its first Purifaaya in 2015, it has distributed 60,000+ filters to East Africa providing over 350,000 end-users with long-term access to clean drinking water. SPOUTS is a rapidly-growing organization with over 120 employees and the next step is to scale its operations across all of East Africa to provide all with clean drinking water.
Job Summary: The Finance Director will oversee financial operations for our organization as we expand across all regions in Uganda and East Africa. The Finance Director will head the annual budget and will support the CEO in managing the relationships with its investors to help create a sustainable, impact-driven enterprise. The Finance Director will carry a lot of responsibility when it comes to creating a seamless entity that carries out its manufacturing, marketing, sales and operations while helping to increase access to those who need it most. The Finance Director will help shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career. The Finance Director will report directly to the CEO and will work closely with all department heads.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Design and implement long-term business strategies, plans and procedures to steer the company’s future in a positive direction. Assess and manage the principal risks of the business within operations.
· Lead, implement and maintain financial policies, planning and reporting processes to sustain the financial health of the company
· Contribute as a member of management to SPOUTS’ strategic planning and decision making.
· Assist senior management and the Board by providing and interpreting relevant financial information to support effective decision making and reporting activities.
· Keep senior management abreast of the organisation’s financial status and effectively communicate critical financial matters in a timely manner.
· Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning processes in conjunction with the Director/s and other financial planning efforts.
· Develop external relationships with appropriate contacts eg bankers, partners, investors, government representatives and funding organisations.
· Oversee operations of the Finance Department, set goals and objectives and design a framework for these to be met.
· Arrange new sources of finance to support the company’s growth needs.
· Establish and maintain controls and financial management mechanisms to mitigate risks and ensure proper use of resources.
· Implement and update business policies and accounting practices in line with international practices for financial management and other compliance requirements.
· Conduct reviews and evaluations for cost-reduction opportunities and introduce tactical initiatives to address risks realized in the field.
· Keep abreast of change in financial regulations and legislation and implement changes in business practice as required.
· Manage all financial internal controls.
· Overseeing audit and tax functions. Liaise with auditors to ensure annual monitoring is carried out.
· Establish policies that promote company culture and vision.
· Financial Reporting and Analysis
· Prepare timely, detailed reports on financial performance on a quarterly, annual basis and conduct analysis to make forecasts and report to upper executives.
· Create/develop appropriate reports and analysis on topics like operational and financial efficiency, liquidity, credit, product costing, plan-fact comparison, historical performance, etc.
· Analyze financial data and develop financial analysis as a key management tool. Translate data into actionable measures that reduce risks, improve efficiency, reverse negative tendencies, or exploit new opportunities.
· Direct the development of operational and financial reports and metrics to keep key stakeholders informed and current on activities across all markets.
· Training and leading Accounting and Finance teams towards meeting deadlines and various milestones.
· Lead employees to encourage maximum performance and dedication by employing various initiatives to coach employees to optimize their capabilities.
· Establish and implement a training program for new finance employees.
· Appropriately and effectively delegate responsibility.
· Complete performance reviews in a prudent manner
· Compliance and Audit
· Ensure compliance with financial covenants in agreements with creditors, partners, investors and donors.
· Use possibilities of IT most efficiently; propose modifications to IT programs/procedures that increase efficiency and/or lower risk.
· Facilitate internal and external audits.
· Prepare annual financial statements for the auditors.
· Assist leadership team in fundraising ventures
· Develop a corporate fundraising strategy and manage relationships with partners and investors.
· Demonstrate corporate responsibility
· Always act in a manner consistent with SPOUTS’ values.
· Comply with the SPOUTS’ standards of conduct and all applicable policies and legislation.
· Represent SPOUTS in public and official forums, functions and joint ventures as required.
· Monthly financial reporting
· Annual external audit
· Accounts payable and payroll; accounts receivable and billing
· Cash management
· Budgeting and budget tracking
· Liabilities management
· Daily, weekly and monthly reconciliations of bank, inventory, payables and receivables
· Tax management
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate must hold a Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, or finance. A Master’s degree in these areas is advantageous.
· Certified accountant (ACCA, CPA, or chartered accountancy)
· At least five years in financial control or financial management/director, preferably within high-growth D2C (direct-to-consumer) sales and service companies or sectors such as in banking and insurance.
· Proven track record of outstanding performance in a previous complex enterprise
· Proven track record of managing complex budgets successfully
· Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics
· Ability to make business projections three years into the future
· Language Skills: Excellent written and oral English language abilities are required. Proficiency in Luganda or other Ugandan languages is desired but not strictly necessary
· Computer Skills
· Proficient in MS-Office Suite (especially Excel)
· Proficient in QuickBooks or similar accounting systems
· Good understanding of information systems as relates to financial management
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
· Analytical. Synthesizes complex or diverse information; collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data; designs workflows and procedures.
· Business Acumen. Demonstrates knowledge of working procedures; aligns work with strategic goals; understands implications of decisions; demonstrates knowledge of market and competition.
· Teamwork. Open to others’ views; contributes to building a positive team spirit;
· Interpersonal Skills – Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others’ ideas and tries new things.
· Managing People – Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; Takes responsibility for subordinates’ activities; makes self-available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; develops subordinates’ skills and encourages growth; solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); fosters quality focus in others; improves processes, products and services.; continually works to improve supervisory skills.
· Quality Management. Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; fosters quality focus in subordinates; monitors own work to ensure quality
· Ethics. Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and ethically; upholds organizational values, policies and procedures
· Organizational Support. Follows policies and procedures; supports organization’s goals and values
· Adaptability. Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; changes approach or method to best fit the situation; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
· Professionalism. Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
· Cost Consciousness. Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost-saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources.
· Oral Communication. clear and persuasive speaker; listens and gets clarification; demonstrates group presentation skills; participates in meetings
· Written Communication. Writes clearly and informatively; presents numerical data effectively.
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their application letters, CVS and relevant academic documents should be sent online at the link below.
Deadline: Wednesday, 10th March 2021