Job Title: Finance & Logistics Officer
Organisation: Development Alternatives, Inc. (DAI)
Duty Station: Mbarara, Uganda
Reports to: Finance Manager, supported by the HR and Administration Manager.
Development Alternatives, Inc. (DAI) is a private development company based in Bethesda, Maryland, US with additional corporate offices in London and Hemel Hempstead in the United Kingdom. We tackle fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. We work with a wide range of clients, including national and local governments, bilateral and multilateral donors, private corporations, and philanthropies.
Job Summary: DAI seeks a Finance & Logistics Officer in Mbarara for a five-year, $35 million dollar USAID-funded agriculture program. The Feed the Future Uganda Inclusive Agricultural Markets Activity (FtF IAM) works with agro-industry/agribusiness firms, Government of Uganda institutions and agencies, and market actor organizations on creating efficiencies in cross-market functions that enhance systemic changes to sustainably increase incomes and improve the livelihoods of households through agriculture-led inclusive economic growth. The Activity contributes to the Global Food Security Strategy (GFSS) Uganda Country Plan goal of reducing hunger, malnutrition, and poverty, as well as the USAID/Uganda Country Development Cooperation Strategy’s (CDCS) 2016-2021 five-year goal of strengthening Uganda’s systems to accelerate inclusive education, health, and economic outcomes. The Activity works throughout the FtF Uganda Zone of Influence (ZOI), which covers 38 districts spread across four regions of Uganda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the financial management of the Field Office, assuring adherence to financial policies, Activity policies and procedures, regulations, controls and reporting systems, including using DAI’s financial software systems.
- Provide accounting and financial support to the Kampala office and ensure submission of timely and accurate financial reports based on internal deadlines.
- Verify vendor invoices and accuracy of expenses, and ensures accurate and timely processing of invoices, and coordinate with Kampala office on vendor payments.
- Assist in preparing information for any contractual financial reporting requirement, as applicable, for example VAT reporting.
- Follows procedures to ensure accurate and timely payment and reconciliation of travel advances, reimbursements for staff and partner travel.
- Ensure compliance of all accounting and financial reporting functions in the Field Office.
- Responsible for recording costs and day-to-day general accounting and risk management.
- Support, post online and process Mobile Money Payments using the Beyonic system ensuring accuracy, compliance and reporting.
- Oversee petty cash custodians, ensuring petty cash reporting is accurate and timely, that petty cash counts and petty cash reconciliations are conducted regularly and making petty cash entries.
- Manage the day-to-day business operations of the Field Office
- Liaise with local vendors and suppliers, local government officials and others to ensure professional relationships are well maintained, developed and built
- Maintain and oversee the working capacity of the office in terms of equipment, supplies, utilities, generators, maintenance of fittings and fixtures and premises
- Manage the security of the office premises, property, and vehicles, including day to day check in with security staff and security company
- In collaboration of with the ICT Specialist, maintain and update the Field Office inventory
- Work with the Kampala Admin and Logistics Assistant and IAM travelers to support travel to the field offices, including, but not limited to, allocating vehicles, booking accommodation, arranging meetings, and ensuring logistical needs of travelers are met in the field
- Work with the Kampala Procurement team in support of regional procurements, such as support of quotations, market research, prequalification of suppliers and vendors and report as necessary
- Support the IAM team where needed with grant and technical activity development and implementation, such as, but not limited to, meeting partners and stakeholders, liaising with Local Government, supporting activity implementation, arranging logistics for events, meetings, workshops etc.
- Manage vehicles assigned to the field offices, including fuel-cards and their reconciliation, fueling the vehicles and servicing of the fleet.
- Manage full-time Driver and Logisticians and assign tasks as appropriate
- Manage Office Assistant and assign tasks as appropriate
- Support the HR and Administration Manager to track performance, anniversary dates and provide feedback for Annual Performance Management Plans
- Where needed and requested, verify time-sheet information and support accurate time reporting for the Field Office team
- Work collaboratively with IAM Team
- Report on local issues to the wider team and Senior Management, such as on COVID 19, security, weather conditions, which may impact IAM’s implementation
- Ensure COVID-19 SOPs are followed in line with the IAM Risk Assessment Tool
- Carry out any other duties and responsibilities as directed by the Director, Finance and Administration.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal applicant must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Business Administration or equivalent.
- 6+ years of relevant experience and progressive responsibility in finance and accounting, office administration, and project operations.
- At least two-years’ experience with USAID-funded projects.
- Experience with USAID procurement policy, or logistics preferred.
- Ability to apply laws, regulations and instructions and interpret DAI and USAID policy.
- Fluent English required.
The Finance & Logistics Officer will supervise the Driver/ Logistician and Office Assistant
COVID-19: DAI is requiring all staff to be vaccinated for COVID-19 if they wish to access DAI offices; participate in in-person meetings with staff, customers, or stakeholders; or travel on DAI business.
How to Apply:
Please send your CV and letter of interest to IAMrecruitment@dai.com with “Finance & Logistics Officer” in the subject line
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Deadline: 20th November 2022