Job Title: Financial Accountant
Organization: UGAFODE Microfinance Limited (MDI)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Head of Finance
UGAFODE Microfinance Limited (MDI) is a registered financial institution in Uganda and is adherent to the Central Bank’s regulations and guidelines and was founded in 1994 to provide quality microfinance services.
Job Summary: The Financial Accountant will report to the Head of Finance, supervise the Accounts Officers and will be responsible for:
- Preparing financial reports that provide information about a firm’s performance to external parties such as investors, creditors, and tax authorities.
- Ensuring UGAFODE’s financial statements are correct and in adherence with accounting principles and regulatory rules.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Statutory Accounts and Interim Audits:
- Preparation of end of year statutory accounts in line with IFRS, MDI Act, 2003, MDI Regulations 2004 & the Companies Act reporting requirements
- Dealing with external auditors during the interim and final audit, coordinate responses to Management letter issues and track implementation of the recommendations.
External reporting as assigned:
- Prepare all regulatory reports for Bank of Uganda with accuracy and timely reporting
- Prepare monthly reports to lenders
- Adhoc reports to stake holders including lenders.
- Carry out system report reviews to ensure accuracy which may include suspended interest, interest receivable, loan portfolio reports etc.
Payroll and Staff Benefits:
- Review of the payroll to ensure that all salary deductions are applied as per statutory requirements and as per HR policy and remitted on time.
- Verification of salary advances and staff loans to ensure strict conformity with policies and procedures.
- Ensuring proper deduction and remittance of VAT, Withholding tax on suppliers’ payments, service providers, UGAFODE Microfinance Limited Microfinance investments and clients’ savings.
- Tax planning: Preparation of the Corporation tax computations – provisional and final as required by law and ensuring relevant payments are made timely.
Fixed assets management:
- Preparing a summarized fixed asset register for annual accounts
- Ensure that the fixed assets are well recorded , management of items for disposal and maintaining a register of the same
- Ensure that physical verification of assets- stock taking is done, all sets are engraved and asset coordinating of asset movement forms/registers as per policy.
- Ensuring insurance of various items. Ensure all assets are insured including cash.
- Ensuring timely responses and provision of information required by stake holders.
- Review and verify and monitor various general ledger accounts: to ensure they are properly maintained with schedules.
- Supervise the work done by accounts officers, verifying all reconciliations done to ensure accuracy and alignment with policy requirements.
- Any other duty as may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the UGAFODE Financial Accountant job must possess a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance from a reputable university or college.· Professional Accounting Certification e.g. CPA, ACCA
- Advanced knowledge of related statutory and regulatory banking compliance regulations, accounting principles, and tax laws
- Expert knowledge in financial modeling in spreadsheets with good analytical skills
- Should have experience in good financial reporting skills including statutory and Board reporting.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to carry out instructions and instruct others, interpret documents, understand procedures, write reports and correspondence, speak clearly to third parties and employees
- Self-motivated team player with the ability to adapt and work co-operatively and effectively in different situations and teams to carry out assigned task
- Ability to lead, supervise, train, and foster the development of direct reporting staff, providing feedback, support and encouragement
- Ability to build and maintain effective relationships with individuals and team as a whole
- Excellent organization, delegation, performance management, and time management skills
- Only persons with High level of integrity as advised to apply.
How to Apply:
Interested persons who meet the above criteria should submit their motivation letters together with an up to date CV to our email only: firstname.lastname@example.org (please indicate the position you are applying for in the Subject Line “Application for Financial Accountant”). Applications should be addressed to the Head of Human Resources.
Deadline: 5th November 2018