The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. UNDP advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. The UNDP provides expert advice, training, grant support to developing countries including Uganda with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries.
Job Summary: The UNV Programme Assistant, recruited locally under local UNDP contract, will be responsible for administrative, finance and human resources requirements related to the UNV inputs and assignments. The UNV Programme Assistant maintains close working relations with other staff of the UNDP office, in both administration and programme divisions, and be well integrated as a member of the UNDP team. The UNV Programme Assistant’s post will impact on the UNV Country Office and programme in Uganda by ensuring fast-tracking of the administrative and human resource services; execution of ATLAS financial services and human capital management with quality and precise accuracy, and; support to operations of the UNV Country Office.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Administrative and logistical functions:
- Human resources functions:
- Financial functions:
- Programme-related functions:
- Other functions: Perform other functions as may be assigned by the UNV PO
- Support in recruitment of new UNV volunteers – organize interviews and write reports, send documents to UNV Headquarters.
- Actively facilitate in quick processing of deployment and induction of candidates to meet deadlines of recruitment dates.
- Prepare independently administrative correspondence related to UNV programme.
- Playing a key role in the thorough briefing and orientation of newly arrived UNV volunteers on policies and procedures, socio-economic and security situation, culture and in providing all the necessary materials.
- Issue UNV ID cards as well as facilitate issuance of UN ID Cards for all UNV volunteers.
- Ensure that all UNV volunteers arriving in the country are facilitated and temporary accommodation arranged.
- Connect UNV volunteers with reputable house agents and car vendors and other service providers.
- Support UNV volunteers in opening bank accounts and obtaining visas, work permits, driving licenses and other necessary documents in the country.
- Introducing UNV volunteers to the UNDP Country Office and their embassies.
- Assist in the planning of UNV meetings, workshops and International Volunteer Day (IVD) celebrations.
- Ensure timely repatriation of UNV volunteers upon completion of their assignment.
- Responsible for the preparation of contracts as well as contract extensions for all UNV volunteers.
- In charge of the preparation of insurance coverage for newly arrived UNV volunteers and submission to UNV Headquarters.
- Keeping comprehensive updated records of the contractual status of all serving UNV volunteers and advising UNV PO on need to initiate timely action on decisions concerning post extensions, renewals and replacements, leave entitlements, reporting requirements and subsequent transmission to UNV Headquarters.
- Maintain personal/project files of all UNV volunteers ensuring that all correspondence and periodic reports are properly kept and matters requiring action are brought to the UNV PO’s attention.
- Ensure inventory of personal effects of UNV volunteers and inventory of office assets are forwarded to UNV HQ in a timely manner.
- Receive medical insurance claims from UNV volunteers, cross-check them and ensure that the figures correspond with the original receipts and forward them to UNV PO for signature and then give them back to UNV volunteers for forward transmission to Vanbreda International for reimbursement.
- Maintain an up-to-date leave records and ensure that all UNV volunteers submit their leave requests well in advance to UNV Country Office.
- In charge of the preparation of all types of vouchers for all UNV payments in ATLAS, link them to Purchase Orders (POs), budget check, and ensure supporting documents for payments are attached.
- Maintenance of all expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed transactions are correctly recorded and posted in ATLAS.
- Intuitively review claims such as travel claims, entry medical bills, hazard allowance, transportation refund, and any other entitlements are duly processed in ATLAS.
- Timely corrective actions on un-posted vouchers including the vouchers with budget check errors match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
- Presentation of information on the status of financial resource as required.
- Provide the required inputs, where appropriate, to the UNV Programme Officer in managing and monitoring projects under his/her responsibility.
- Search for the required financial information on expenditures to assist the UNV Programme Officer in the preparation of project budgets and also subsequent revisions.
- Maintain and up-date project budget cards and assist in monitoring project expenditures.
- Act upon and follow-up on pipeline posts with partner agencies particularly in the timely submission of Terms of Reference, confirmation of funds, clearance of candidates etc.
- Collect, through interviews or other means, information on the activities of UNV volunteers with the view to documenting best practices/experiences of volunteer contributions including follow-up on UNV progress reports.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UN Volunteers Programme Assistant Job must have completed secondary school education. Possession of a University degree in Business or Public Administration will be an added advantage.
- Hold a certificate in financial and human resource services, and certification in computer programming and office management.
- At least five years of progressive and relevant work experience in administration, finance and human resource.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to work with very minimum supervision, initiative and sound judgment
- Good working knowledge of computers and office software packages and handling of web-based management system.
Language requirements: Fluency in spoken English and other local languages in Uganda. Proven ability to write clearly and concisely in English language.
Motivation and commitment:
- Ability to take initiative and work with minimum supervision.
- Demonstrates commitment to the UNV programme and all other clients within the UN System, Government, multilateral and bilateral donors.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
- Past experience and indicate willingness to encourage and relate to volunteerism, and to identify with the concept.
- Displays sensitivity to cultural, gender, religion, race and other backgrounds.
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills especially in dealing with various partners including UNV volunteers.
- Organisational and operational effectiveness:
- Leadership and self management:
- Self-development: Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
- Good time management and organisational ability.
- Ability to perform a variety of tasks related to financial resource management, including screening and collecting documentation, and filing.
- Good knowledge of financial and administrative rules.
- Ability to provide inputs to business processes and adapt to new systems.
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
- Consistently approach work with energy and, a positive and constructive attitude.
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even when under pressure.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to receive/integrate feedback.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
How to Apply for the job:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who so desire to join the United Nations Development Programme, UNDP, in the aforementioned capacity should endeavor to Apply Online by Clicking on the link below. Please further review job requirements and if competent Click Apply Now.
Deadline: 21st November 2014