Job Title: Gender and Social Inclusion Officer
Organisation: Ripple Effect (formerly Send a Cow)
Duty Station: Mbarara, Uganda
Ripple Effect Uganda is a growing and dynamic international development charity creating a wave of change in rural Africa. We are a partnership of experienced and committed staff, working with farming families in Africa. We are all inspired by the need to create an even greater impact on hunger and poverty in rural communities that are increasingly threatened by economic challenges and the climate crisis. Together, we support families to learn more, grow more and sell more. They then share what they know and have with their communities, creating a ripple effect of environmentally sustainable change across rural Africa. We are at an exciting stage in our history, as we re-brand from Send a Cow with an ambitious new 2030 strategy to multiply our impact
About YIDaMS Project:
In partnership with Mastercard Foundation, Ripple Effect Uganda plans to implement a five-year (2022 – 2027) Youth Inclusive Dairy Market Systems Project (YIDaMS) whose aim is to enable 50,000 young women and men to access dignified and fulfilling work in the dairy sector. These will comprise of youth aged 18-35 with 70% young women, 5% young people with disability and 10% refugee youth.
Job Summary: The Gender and social Inclusion (GSI) Officer will provide technical direction, oversight, and leadership to create and maximize opportunities to engage social inclusion and gender equity though direct project activities. The candidate will support and lead the development and maintenance of a Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment (GEWE) and social inclusion action plan to recognize the structural disparities and social norms that limit vulnerable populations participation. GSI will ensure integration of gender and social inclusion, community led safeguarding and support institutional development and envisioning of groups. Capacity building of the project team on gender and social inclusion mainstreaming. The Gender and Social Inclusion Officer will manage and support delivery of gender technical aspects of the intervention at a project level, through both direct delivery and partnerships with external organisations, supported by colleagues who provide the necessary youth skilling initiatives required for the effective and sustainable delivery of the project.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support in the development of action plan for gender and social inclusion and implementation plan for gender and inclusion development.
- Conduct gender mapping, analysis in the value chain and support inclusion of marginalised categories in key participating positions.
- The role in addition will ensure inclusion aspects for People with disability and other excluded groups in all project intervention areas.
- Provide technical leadership and oversight, and integration of gender and social inclusion approaches across program activities.
- Use Gender and social inclusion analysis to purposefully engage youth, women, and marginalized groups in all activities and result areas.
- Develop and lead the implementation of the project’s Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment and Social inclusion strategy and action plan, including the adaptation and development of tools and approaches to support the strategy and action plan.
- Work with senior project management to raise awareness and capacity of project staff on issues related to GSI, and to expand gender content of the project.
- Work closely with project staff to build their understanding of gender and youth issues. Facilitate GSI training and develop and/or adapt training content.
- Support the integration of GSI activities within the work plan; GSI specific tools in work planning to promote gender balance in the project implementation.
- Support development of GSI sensitive behavior change communication activities and messages. Write success stories related to the GSI work being done.
- Work closely with M&E team to ensure that GSI considerations are reflected in M&E plan, frameworks, and reports to assess whether the GSI objectives are being met. Support the tracking and maintenance of any GYESI performance indicators.
- Map out potential employment opportunities and link youth to decent employment.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Master’s degree in Social Work and Social Administration, social sciences preferably development studies, gender studies or other related field with a Bachelor’s in similar or related fields.
- At least seven years’ experience at field level in gender and social development
- Practical experience in implementing gender projects in the field, and the associated documentation
- Experience of leading, supporting, managing, a team
- Experience of organizing and conducting trainings and workshops at different levels
- Experience in a number of different approaches to extension and use of media for community learning
- Experience in youth skilling and business start -up, mentorship and acceleration
- Experience in using gender tools.
- Prior experience designing and implementing gender plans for projects.
- Prior experience working in the integration of gender and youth considerations in value chains, or skilling for employment is projects preferred.
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with donors, government counterparts at all levels, local organizations, community groups, and other program partners and stakeholders.
- Ability to conceptualize, plan, guide, and implement work with demonstrated experience in mainstreaming GSI
- Proven experience leading the gender development and planning for a donor-funded program of this size and geographic expansion.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English.
- Strong leadership ability
- Excellent communication skills
- Good presentation skills
- Report writing skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong networking skills.
- Able to participate on a policy level with government and other development partners
- Ability to identify funding opportunities
- Have empathy with Ripple Effect’s Christian foundation and core values
- An initiator and self-driven
- A team leader, builder and developer
- A broad and mature thinker
- A strategic thinker with an eye for detail
- Creative and innovative
- A team player. Flexible.
- Understands the importance of confidentiality especially for data.
- Postgraduate training in gender and social development; Community leadership and management; or rural development.
- Experience in NGO work.
- Experience of project proposal writing and fund raising
- Community development experience
- Experience in research and development in Gender
- Knowledge in extension services delivery
How to Apply:
All applicants should send a filled application form, Download Here and attach a comprehensive CV and certified copies of academic documents
Please submit application online to email@example.com clearly indicating the position and location you are applying for in the subject line.
Deadline: 3rd October 2022 at 5:00pm EAT
NB: Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted