Job Title: Geographic Information Systems Associate
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Position No.: 10027120
Vacancy Notice No.: 22/2017
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Position Grade: GL6
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Geographic Information Systems Associate will work in liaison with the Information Management Officer and, as applicable, relevant units at Headquarters (e.g. FICSS, Bureau) to gather geographic information for further analysis and dissemination and identify information gaps. Where information gaps exist, the Information Management Associate (GIS) may help setting up primary data collection systems and organise needs assessments, which may also involve other stakeholders. In the case of refugee operations, the GIS Associate will coordinate geographic information management activities relevant to all aspects of the operation and across organizations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work directly with sector leads and partners to identify mapping needs and develop appropriate products according to defined UNHCR standards. – Identify and implement a client-oriented map request process to track and manage map requests and products.
- Undertake data exploration and collation to produce a set of standard maps (Map Catalogue) for sector working groups, Inter-Agency structure and other UNHCR units based on operational needs.
- Support the established standards for operational, geographical and population data to be used throughout the region/country, maintain and distribute standards to IM officers and others working with operational data in the region, including partners.
- The incumbent will also advocate for harmonized data and mapping standards at field, national and regional levels.
- Maintain and expand the geographic data repository and related metadata.
- Provide GIS analysis to support UNHCR and partner decision making and guidance to achieve analytical products and derived geographic information.
- Provide geographic information management services to support sector monitoring and evaluation in the refugee response.
- Ensure GIS integration with corporate data and reporting systems and harmonize geodata management across systems.
- Perform any other tasks as required delegated by the operation
Key Performance Indicators:
- Map products and services provided to UNHCR and collaborative partners through client oriented established procedures
- Geographic data standards and datasets promoted and disseminated within UNHCR and partner organizations to facilitate operations
- Participate in the Refugee Information Management Working Group (RIMWG) (for refugee situations).
- On behalf of UNHCR-led clusters, participate in inter-cluster Information Management Working Groups (for IDP situations) on geographic issues if needed in operations
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Geographic Information Systems Associate job placement should have completed secondary education with post-secondary training/certificate in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Demography, Statistics, Social Sciences or a related field.
- At least six years’ work experience with database and management related to GIS.
- Previous experience with relevant GIS software such as ArcGIS and/or Mapinfo.
- Significant work experience in implementing and maintaining geographic data collection systems.
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language
- Demonstrated geospatial analytical skills applied to humanitarian and or development scenarios.
- Successful participation in a UNHCR endorsed learning programme related to Information Management.
- Previous exposure and experience with relevant software such as, SPSS, EpiInfo6, SQL Server, and/or progress.
- Experience in web design and software development is an asset.
- Previous experience with HTML, PHP, ASP and/or Java is an asset
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the linkbelow and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 21st July 2017