Job Title: Head, Consumer, Private and Business Banking (CPBB)
Organisation: Standard Chartered Bank (Stanchart)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Standard Chartered PLC is a British multinational banking and financial services company headquartered in Hong Kong, China. It operates a network of over 1,700 branches and outlets (including subsidiaries, associates and joint ventures) across more than 70 countries and employs around 87,000 people. It is a universal bank with operations in consumer, corporate and institutional banking, and treasury services. Despite its UK base, it does not conduct retail banking in the UK, and around 90% of its profits come from Africa, United Kingdom, United States and the Middle East. Standard Chartered Bank Uganda is the longest established international bank in the country; the first branch was opened in August 1912. We had 11 branches up to 1972 and retained only one branch during the turbulence of the 70s. In 1998 we acquired 4 branches of former Cooperative Bank in November 1999. Standard Chartered Bank Uganda today has a network of 11 branches in Kampala, Jinja, Mbale, Mbarara and Gulu. Standard Chartered Bank Uganda has 29 ATMs and over 600 staff.
Job Summary: The Head, Consumer, Private and Business Banking (CPBB) will mainly maximise the growth, quality and profit potential of asset, liability and fee services for the Consumer, Private and Business Banking Division in Uganda through the effective management of innovative products, deployment of multiple distribution channels, development of bench strength capacity and the leveraging of support services.
Aggressively grow and develop the business within the acceptable risk, regulatory, legal and compliance framework
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Strategy: To determine Consumer, Private and Business Banking business strategy and market plans in the light of business initiatives and ensure smooth execution of agreed group and country specific strategies in order to accelerate business and profitability.
- Business: To effectively manage and direct all Consumer, Private and Business Banking business with the objective of achieving annual financial targets as incorporated in the budget, control, as evidenced by audit reports.
- Processes: Streamline processes to promote and maintain the highest standard of quality customer service in Consumer, Private and Business Banking to enhance revenue generation and be ahead of competition.
- People and Talent: To create ownership to agreed strategies and business goals, mobilise and motivate the workforce to achieve these common goals, Ensure all units within Consumer, Private and Business Banking are coordinated throughout the change processes to maintain efficient banking services to customers and To establish clearly defined job objectives for direct reports and monitor achievement on regular basis, providing direction as necessary.
- Risk Management: To ensure all risk within Consumer, Private and Business Banking division is minimised and systems are in place to monitor and eliminate risk across all areas of Consumer Private and Business Banking and to achieve a general high degree of risk control as laid down by the Bank policy.
- Provide leadership in Consumer, Private and Business Banking to comply with the highest standards of regulatory and business conduct and practices as defined by internal and external requirements.
- Understand and ensure compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations and guidelines including those governing securities activities, company law, anti-money laundering, terrorist financing and sanctions; the Group’s policies and procedures; and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for understanding the risk and compliance requirements of the role. Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk and compliance matters.
- Regulatory and Business Conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group’s Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Lead the [CPBB Team to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank’s Conduct Principles: [Fair Outcomes for Clients; Effective Financial Markets; Financial Crime Compliance; The Right Environment.]
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Bank of Uganda prescribed responsibilities and Rationale for allocation.
- Exercise authorities delegated by the Board of Directors and act in accordance with Articles of Association (or equivalent)
- Other Responsibilities
- Embed Here for good and Group’s brand and values in CPBB Uganda Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should have formal Banking and Management training
- Strong leadership, management, planning, communication and motivation skills.
- Strategic and proactive orientation
- A solid understanding of banking products, systems and operations and practice.
- Education to a degree standard
- Critical judgement is needed in deposit and asset management and formulation of Retail Clients policies and strategies.
- Ability to handle very wide variety of problems in customer service and operations.
- Make decisions / recommendations on complex matters any with international connections requiring highly resourceful knowledge and skill.
- Strong analytical skill required
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join Standard Chartered Bank should apply online at the link below.