Vacancy title: Head Of Communications
Type: FULL TIME ,
Jobs at: Umeme Limited
Deadline of this Job: 12th August 2019
Duty Station: Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Umeme Limited (the Company) is a public limited company incorporated in Uganda under the Companies Act (Cap 110) of Uganda, and licensed under Licences No. 047 and 48 to carry on business of electricity distribution and supply, by the Electricity Regulatory Authority (ERA) under the provisions of the Electricity Act 1999, (Cap 145). The Company has a 20 year concession, which commenced on | March 2005, to operate and maintain the electricity distribution network in Uganda that is owned by Uganda Electricity Distribution Company Limited (UEDCL).
The Company is listed on the Uganda Securities Exchange (USE) and cross listed on Nairobi Stock Exchange (NSE). More details about the Company can be found on its website ( www.umeme.co.ug ) and in its annual reports.
The Company is searching for a Head of Communications to lead the communications and marketing function.
The Role of Head of Communications Reporting to the Managing Director, the Head of Communications is responsible for planning, development and implementation of the Company’s strategies for communications, marketing, branding, public relations, reputation management and stakeholder engagement..
• Be the point of contact for all media and external related communications
• Develop and implement internal and external communication strategies
• Lead marketing initiatives and public awareness/education on Umeme & its services
• Coordinate all activities promoting the Umeme Brand, including events management
• Plan and implement stakeholder engagement activities
• Plan and implement Public Relations and media management strategies
• Ensure the reputation of Umeme is protected both within and outside the company
• Be the editor-in-chief of all corporate communications including annual reports, staff magazines, press releases, securities exchange communications etc
• Coordinate Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) activities in the Company
• Lead and manage the communications department and staff.
• Coordinate the activities of the advertising and PR agency, to ensure the firm delivers per contract to Umeme’s expectations.
Knowledge and skills:
• At least 8 years of working experience, 5 of which should have been spent in a leadership role in Communications and Marketing.
• Experience in Communication and marketing in the Electricity sector Business, with in-depth understanding of stakeholder relations management.
• In-depth understanding of Communication strategies with a bias towards Digital and Social Media communication.
• Expert knowledge in management of Media houses and Agencies.
• Ability to develop as well as drive communication and marketing strategy for growth;
• Strong Public Relations and stakeholder management skills:
• Excellent communication and influencing skils that address various stakeholders;
• Excellent leadership skills and ability to exercise judgment based on accurate and timely analyses
• Proven experience in supporting staff development, performance and career progression.
• Proven impeccable integrity in business dealings and adherence to organizational policies, code of business conduct, standards, and health and safety policies.
• Good communication skills and experience interacting with Senior Management teams and the Board of Directors.
• Innovation and ability to challenge the status quo.
The expected candidate:
• is a university graduate, preferable at a master’s level, from a recognised university, with a bias in communications, public relations or marketing
• has demonstrable experience in similar roles in large high growth environment with multiple stakeholders
• has demonstrable experience in mentoring junior staff and building capacity of senior staff for succession planning:
• is capable of building highly productive relationships with key stakeholders
• has a demonstrable track record of driving change and performance improvement;
• Has clear, concise and compelling communication and presentational skills.
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job application procedure
For more details and how to apply: Visit https://forms.ge/VWYtwZrСEyX4kjPi9 and fill in the job application form clearly detailing your suitability for your preferred position in terms of required qualifications and experience by Monday 12th August, 2019 at 17:00 hrs.