Job Title: Head Of Programme and Field Operations
Organization: United Nations World Food Programme (WFP)
Duty Station: Uganda
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to United help communities rebuild their lives. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 80 countries each year. The organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to food and contribute to lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
Job Summary: The Head Of Programme and Field Operations will provide support to policy and programme activities that effectively meet food assistance needs. To plan and manage field operations to ensure the effective and efficient deployment of food assistance programmes and use of allocated resources.
Incumbent is expected to operate with a high degree of independence, manage more junior staff to ensure that programme and policy objectives are achieved in full. Be involved in a wide variety of programme and policy activities and analytical work, some of which may be of a considerable complexity in addition to contributing to performance improvement.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Contribute towards the development of a wide variety of projects, plans and processes, ensuring alignment with wider programme policies and guidance.
· Provide project management support to specific and defined programmes and projects of considerable size/complexity, ensuring a coordinated approach with wider programmes that complies with WFP standards and procedures.
· Research and analyse a range of policy and operational issues to inform the development of
· policies, programmes and activities.
· Contribute to the preparation of accurate and timely reporting on programmes and activities that enable informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
· Liaise with internal and external counterparts to ensure effective collaboration, monitor ongoing projects and highlight potential risks to project delivery.
· Plan and manage WFP field operations Amudat, Moroto, Nabilatuk, Nakapiripirit and Napak districts to ensure effective and efficient delivery of food assistance and that daily operational issues are resolved in a timely manner to prevent losses or delays.
· Ensure that allocated resources are used efficiently and are in line with agreed plans, and any deviations are reported to the Area/Country Office.
· Develop and coordinate data gathering, analysis and monitoring systems to ensure generation of evidence of impact of WFP programmes and that rigorous quality standards are maintained.
· Conduct timely monitoring and evaluation of activities and prepare accurate and comprehensive reports on WFP’s operations and performance with regular and timely submission for Area/Country Office review to inform efficient operational planning and decisions.
· Support identification, development and management of potential partnerships to collaborative working leading to improved food assistance packages.
· Build effective and collaborative relations with the local authorities and contribute to the sharing of expertise and capacity strengthening for effective preparedness and response to food assistance needs.
· Develop and sustain liaison with local government authorities, international and local NGOs, UN agencies, civil societies, communities and people that we serve, other partners and media engaged in the field of food security.
· Ensure extensive and frequent presence at project areas, distribution sites and centres.
· Support capacity building of WFP staff, partners and national government to prepare for and respond to food assistance needs.
· Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral while ensuring development of a cohesive, innovative and high performing team.
· Perform any other duties as may be required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) Head Of Programme and Field Operations job vacancy must hold an advanced University degree in International Affairs, Economics, Nutrition/Health, Agriculture, Environmental Science, Social Sciences or other field relevant to international development assistance, or First University Degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
· At least 10 years post graduate experience (or equivalent in years) in international or community development or in related field and in a leadership role. Demonstrated experience in implementing technical programmes especially in the areas of community development, decentralisation processes, capacity strengthening including policy discussions and decisions. Experience in monitoring and evaluation tools and processes, reporting and budget management.
· Significant experience in undertaking situational and risk analysis to inform effective programme delivery and strategy direction.
· Experience in leading teams to ensure effective delivery of objectives. Participated in complex emergency operations including design and delivery of development programmes. Participated in vendor, government, partner negotiation in support of broad functions or requirements.
· Ability to identify the main hunger problem at the national or subnational level to design and implement context-specific programmes that integrate complex analysis and the full range of food assistance tools.
· Ability to analyse and consolidate quantitative and qualitative information from different sources to inform assistance transfer modality selection and programme development.
· Ability to interpret basic data in the context of WFP specialised fields to contribute to technical programme design, implementation and monitoring.
· Ability to develop thorough recommendations using multiple inputs (e.g. government counsel, research, own experience) to strengthen national or subnational entities and government owned food and nutrition security programmes.
· Deepened technical knowledge through exposure to technical teams is desired
· Experience in taking leadership of implementing programmes.
· Experience in supporting policy discussions and decisions.
· Language: Fluency in written and oral English language.
· Programme Lifecycle & Food Assistance: Displays ability to identify the main hunger problem at the national or subnational level to design and implement context-specific programmes that integrate complex analysis and the full range of food assistance tools.
· Transfer Modalities (Food, Cash, Voucher): Demonstrates ability to analyse and consolidate quantitative and qualitative information from different sources (e.g., market studies) to inform transfer modality selection and programme development.
· Broad Knowledge of Specialized areas (i.e. Nutrition, VAM, etc.): Demonstrates the ability to interpret basic data in the context of WFP specialised fields to contribute to technical programme design, implementation and monitoring.
· Emergency Programming: Displays ability to translate understanding of programme principles in emergencies and protracted conflict situations into relevant, effective, and context specific approaches.
· Strategic Policy Engagement w/ Government: Develops thorough recommendations using multiple inputs (e.g., government counsel, research, own experience) to strengthen national or subnational entities and government owned food and nutrition security programmes.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates who wish to join the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) are encouraged to apply online at the link below
Deadline: 4th February 2021