Job Title: Head Procurement and Disposal Unit
Organisation: Uganda Industrial Research Institute
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Executive Director
Uganda Industrial Research Institute is a government parastatal organization under the auspices of the Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (MoSTI). The institution that was established by an act of parliament in 2002 is a competence and capability centre that champions innovations, translates applied research results into practical applications that lead to high quality efficient industrial products, processes and creates highly skilled human resources.
Job Summary: The Head Procurement and Disposal Unit will manage all operations and activities of the Procurement and Disposable Unit by ensuring timely and cost-effective acquisition of goods, services and works, in accordance with the laid down policies and procedures, and the relevant procurement and disposal Laws of Uganda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan and coordinate Procurement and Disposal Unit activities in compliance with the PPDA 2003 Act.
- Develop procurement schedules, work plans for the procurement of goods, services and periodically review and evaluate them against the set objectives.
- Consider and commend procurement work plans in line with the Institute`s mandate, approved budget and the general guidelines of PPDA to Executive director.
- Coordinate with the user departments the preparation of specifications, standards and terms of references for the goods, services and works.
- Develop, recommend and review procurement strategy, criteria and detailed procedures that are consistent with UIRI policy, requirements and good commercial, legal and ethical practice.
- Manage the preparation and issue of relevant documents and coordinate contract preparations and negotiations.
- Coordinate the evaluation of proposals, quotations, bids and recommend selections to the Contracts Committee.
- Establish and supervise the maintenance of the suppliers and price database and maintain records of the procurement and disposal process.
- Survey markets for latest trends in price, availability, quality, identify, evaluate and exploit any potential opportunities or efficiencies in the procurement process.
- Develop and implement a transparent supplier selection process, and evaluate supplier`s performance against procurement requirements.
- Manage and develop section staff professionally as part of performance management practice.
- Lead the bidding process for Internal and external works, supplies & services through reviewing adverts, procurement of bidding documents and ensuring successful bidding process by UIRI.
- Participate in the development and compilation of the Institute’s annual budget estimates.
- Give management specialist and technical advice (on the basis of appropriate and comprehensive analysis and evaluation), with regard to the organisation`s projects and opportunities.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Executive Director from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Master’s Degree in Procurement and Supply Chain Management Business Administration or a closely related and relevant discipline from a recognized University.
- Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply certificate (CIPS).
- Proven knowledge of Public Procurement & Disposal Laws and Regulations of Uganda are essential.
- Additional training in a related field is an added advantage.
- Professional experience of at-least ten (10) years in the procurement field, five (5) years as Head of Procurement and disposal unit in a government parastatal/agency
How to Apply:
All candidates should send their applications by hand and addressed to:
The Human Resource Manager,
Uganda Industrial Research Institute,
Plot 42A Mukabya Road, Nakawa Industrial Area,
Kampala – Uganda
Deadline: Monday, 21st June 2021 by 5:00pm