Job Title: HIV Counselor (Fresher US NGO Jobs)
Organisation: International Rescue Committee (IRC)
Duty Station: Uganda
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities which support them, as well as those who remain within their homes and communities. At work today in over 40 countries and 25 U.S. cities, we improve outcomes in the areas of health, safety, economic wellbeing, education, and power.
Job Summary: Under the supervision of the health facility in-charge, the HIV counselor shall provide quality counseling of clients, patient follow-up in coordination with the community health workers. Ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of IRC acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organization without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. The enrolled midwife shall be responsible for providing health education talks to women and their partners in the reproductive health facility and in the community. He/She will provide HIV/AIDS services including but not limited to counseling, eMTCT, EID and HAART services.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Utilize Community Health data management tools and systems to record information about HIV clients accessing services, in line with the principle of confidentiality and utilize aggregate information to improve service delivery.
- Develop strategies for retention of psychosocial groups and evaluate performance of individual psychosocial groups.
- Conduct counseling of individual clients and encouraging forms of psychosocial support.
- Conduct awareness raising activities.
- Maintain a positive relationship with community health workers, VHT’s and other community-based groups to ensure they are involved in the activities of the community health and they play an active role in the referral pathway.
- Maintain a collaborative relationship with all organizations working in the context to facilitate referrals and joint activities, while upholding IRC’s standard in Health programming.
- Conduct regular follow-ups, compile daily & weekly reports, and attend weekly case review meetings.
- Provide information and linkage to elimination of mother to child transmission of HIV services.
- Participate in conducting community health activities related to HIV/TB.
- Adhere to the professional code of conduct and ethics.
- Participate in any other activity as directed by supervisor.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Must have at least a certificate in nursing or midwifery certificate or its equivalent.
- Must be registered with the Nurses and Midwives council.
- Must have a valid practicing license.
- Relevant work experience of at least two years in a similar position will be an added advantage.
- Be able to work in a stressful setting and adapt quickly to changing environments.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Please note: This position is open only to Ugandan nationals.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested applicants should apply online at the link below.