Job Title: Human Resources Assistant
Organisation: United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE)
Duty Station: Entebbe, Uganda
Job Opening Number: 23-Human Resources-RSCE-202598-J-Entebbe (R)
Reports to: Service Line Manager/Unit Supervisor
The Regional Service Centre in Entebbe, Uganda (RSCE) was established in July 2010, following the adoption of General Assembly resolution 64/269. The Centre provides efficient, client-oriented and scalable services with the goal of moving transactional, non-location dependent administrative functions to the Centre from its client entities. This includes transactional elements of human resources, finance, multimodal movement and control, personnel and cargo transport and information and communications technology (ICT) support.
Job Summary: The Human Resources Assistant reports to the Service Line Manager/Unit Supervisor. The incumbents at this level must complete a specialized Umoja HR Partner training course and certification for designation as UMOJA HR Partner.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: The Human Resources Assistant will perform the following duties:
Administration of entitlements and benefits
- Prepare staff members’ entitlements including claims, danger pay, daily subsistence allowance, mission subsistence allowance for Government Provided Personnel and Individual Uniformed Personnel, volunteer living allowance and any other allowances for payments in conformity and adherence to applicable United Nations policies e.g., staff rules, financial regulations and rules, ST/AI issuances or practices, IPSAS policy framework etc.
- Accurately process the entitlements, benefits and payroll for the international and national civilian staff and non-staff on behalf of the Client Missions and/or the RSCE, as well as claims for official travel and expense reimbursements.
- Assist in managing the Service Line as appropriate in the business processes related to payroll, leave entitlements, contract extensions, other entitlements, separations and final payments for civilian staff, non-staff and uniformed personnel.
- Implement the processes related to the on-boarding, travel arrangements, payment of settling-in grants, check-in, check-out and separation activities for civilian staff, uniformed personnel and non-staff, as well as the installation and repatriation of recognized dependents.
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of related guidelines, staff rules, HR rules and regulations, practice and procedures, and make recommendations through the Service Delivery Manager where necessary.
- Process and administer end to end entitlements and benefits of International staff members in the RSCE in an efficient and timely manner(i.e., Personnel Administration of Contracts, Personnel administration of movements, Time Management and Separations)making proper recommendations where exception is required.
- Provide guidance and advice to internal and external clients on Benefits and Entitlements, Staff Rules and Regulations and HR guidelines and promotes a collaborative and client-oriented approach.
- Review requests for entitlements and claims Handle non-routine and complex cases, undertaking if necessary research.
- Assist the service line with the administration and certification on the processing of benefits and entitlements processes in compliance with the Rules and Financial framework.
- Engage in comprehensive HR strategy including benefits and entitlements management.
- Review and revise HR policy guidelines relating to Benefits and entitlements as deem necessary. Make inputs to the design and development of the delivery processes.
- Perform HR Administration of Benefits and Entitlements in UMOJA in line with the delegation of authority, maintain UMOJA entitlements and HR local contracts and administration roles.
- Assist in the review and processing of data pertaining to conditions of service.
- Resolve queries escalated in iNeed in UMOJA.
Recruitment and placement
- Researches and provides accurate information to Human Resources Officers and Senior Managers on human resources staffing issues, assisting in the timely filling of vacancies by facilitating the selection of highly qualified candidates to meet the operational and substantive requirements of the Organization;
- Reviews job openings ensuring that the evaluation criteria and responsibilities are in line with the approved or classified documents.
- Reviews and determines eligibility of applicants in line with requirements stated in the job openings;
- Initiates and follows-up on reference checks and academic verifications, ensuring the completion of the pre-recruitment formalities, calculating salaries and related benefits, and preparing and dispatching offers of appointment and Statement of Emoluments;
- Provides inputs into development of HR policies and procedures on Staff Selection and recruitment;
- Plans, schedules and coordinates written assessments and competitive recruitment examinations. Advises staff and selected candidates on visa procedures and requirements;
- May supervise the work of Human Resources Assistants at the lower level
- Provide general office support services; draft and/or process a variety of correspondence and other communications.
- Set up, maintain and monitor reference files/records (electronic and paper).
- Schedule appointments/meetings, monitor deadlines, etc.
- Undertake research on a range of HR related issues and prepare notes/reports.
- Maintain and monitor automated database containing HR related statistics and prepare periodic reports to HR management.
- Prepare necessary documentation for distribution to various offices, departments and overseas offices.
- Perform a variety of administrative duties (e.g. leave recording, request for office supplies and equipment, etc.).
- Assist in the preparation of necessary documentation for distribution to various offices, departments and overseas offices.
- May provide guidance/training to less experienced staff.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the United Nations Regional Service Centre Entebbe (RSCE) Human Resources Assistant job must hold a High school diploma or equivalent. Required.
- Additional qualification or certification in human resources is desirable.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of experience in human resources management, administrative services or related area is required.
- Experience in administration of a broad range of entitlements and benefits using Human Resources Systems Applications and Products (SAP) or Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) software e.g. Umoja or similar is required.
- Experience in application of United Nations or similar international organization’s Staff Rules and Regulations in an operational environment is required.
- Experience in a shared service center is desirable.
- Languages: fluency in English, oral and written is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
- Professionalism – Knowledge of Human Resources policies, practices and procedures, and ability to apply them in an organizational setting. Solid knowledge of SAP and Umoja. Ability to identify issues, formulate opinions, draw conclusions and recommendations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning & Organizing – Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; -Uses time efficiently.
- Client Orientation – Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join the United Nations should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 5th March 2023