Job Title: Interim Senior Operations and Administrations Officer
Organisation: Farm Africa
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Finance and Administration Manager.
Duration & Hours: 4 month full-time, fixed-term contract: March 21 – July 21
Farm Africa, founded in 1985, is an international non-governmental organization working in Uganda, Ethiopia, Kenya and Tanzania. We drive agricultural and environmental change to improve lives. Our strategy has three pillars: agricultural expertise, management and preservation of ecosystems, and the power of business to drive prosperity. We believe Africa has the power to feed itself and are helping make this happen by establishing and spreading the best farming and forestry techniques so that poor farmers and herders have more food to feed their families and to sell. We help smallholders manage their natural resources sustainably so that they can withstand climate change challenges and shocks and ensure their families have enough food in the future as well as now. Farm Africa works in partnership with communities, government, local and international organizations, and the private sector to innovate, learn and share best practices for maximum impact of our projects.
Job Summary: The Interim Senior Operations and Administration Officer (SOAO) will be a key member of the Farm Africa Uganda Team. Based in the small but busy country office, the SOAO role is a busy and varied one involving procurement, human resources, logistics, security, IT, finance and facilities management. This is a fixed-term contract to provide maternity cover for the permanent job holder, and it is anticipated that the Interim SOAO will report for duty in early March 2021 accordingly.
Purpose Of The Role
To provide a high standard of operational and administrative support to Farm Africa’s country office and project teams in Uganda.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: The key responsibilities of the Interim Senior Operations and Administrations officer are:
· Coordinate the advertising of vacancies as requested using appropriate channels
· Work with field teams to recruit support staff
· Provide overall, country-wide support with recruitment, including organising interviews, facilitating tests and collecting references and certificates
· Prepare employment contracts for new staff, and coordinate the induction process as necessary
· Brief all new staff on safeguarding policies and the Farm Africa Code of Conduct, ensuring that a signed copy of the latter is held on staff members’ file
· Provide international staff with practical support to obtain their work permits
· Collate and maintain accurate leave and absence records for all Farm Africa Uganda staff
· Support CD and SMT with running disciplinary processes, acting as minute take as required
Assets and Insurance
· Create and maintain a database of all Farm Africa vehicles and motorbikes in Uganda, and ensure that they are comprehensively insured at all times
· Keep a record of all staff members requiring a driving or riding permit to carry out their duties, and ensure that they hold valid permits and copies are held on file
· With oversight from the FAM, take day to day responsibility for keeping health, workers compensation and all risks insurance policies up to date – adding new staff and assets as required
· Maintain UCO asset register, and keep an up-to-date record of asset registers for each project office
· Work closely with field teams to ensure that fuel tracking and analysis reports are prepared and shared on a monthly basis
· Act as the main contact point for the vehicle tracking software supplier
Administration & Logistics
· Provide general practical administrative support to facilitate the efficient running of the UCO including facilities mgmt. and oversight of casual staff carrying out domestic and security duties
· Organise hotels and transport for visitors, support SMT with transport requests
· Provide wide-ranging administrative and practical support to the Country Director & FAM as reasonably required, including supporting the FAM and CD with the process of renewing operational certificates
· Work closely with field offices to improve and streamline systems, processes and policies
· Maintain high standard of filling systems at UCO
· Procurement of laptops and other related equipment for all FA staff in Uganda
· Ensure that all new laptops are fully configured with relevant software downloaded Ensure that email addresses and necessary logins are set up for all new staff M Act as first point of contact for IT enquires from field staff
· With support from the Finance & Administration Manage (FAM) lead the procurement process for new projects starting up in Uganda
· Provide ongoing procurement support to project teams, particularly with regards toitems that need to be sourced from Kampala
· Create and maintain a list of pre-authorised suppliers for Uganda Country Office (UCO)
· Manage petty cash for the UCO
· Conduct monthly petty cash reconciliations
· Act as a bank agent
· Responsible for filing hard and soft copies of financial documents including invoices, payment confirmations and receipts
· Support the FAM with the payment of invoices and preparation of supporting documents
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the Farm Africa Interim Senior Operations and Administrations Officer job placement must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Human Resource Management or other relevant subject.
· A minimum of three years’ experience of providing administrative and/or logistical support within a busy office.
· Experience of information management and using Microsoft Excel to manage and store data and records
· Experience of maintaining HR/staff records
· Experience of leading or supporting procurements of both high and low value items.
· Experience of coordinating logistics and travel within Uganda and the region
· Experience of organising meetings and appointments for multiple different staff in an office environment
· Outstanding attention to detail
· Excellent IT skills with the ability to pick up new software and programmes quickly
· Excellent organisational skills with demonstrable ability to establish systems and processes
· Strong written and verbal communication skills including the ability to communicate with people from a broad range of backgrounds
· Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office programmes In particular Word, Excel and PowerPoint
· Able to work under own initiative
· Honesty and Integrity
· A practical understanding of Ugandan employment laws
· Experience of managing office facilities
· Experience of managing casual staff
· Experience of supporting with disciplinary hearings and procedures
· Experience of coordinating recruitment activities, in particular scheduling and organising interviews, and obtaining references
· Supporting with finance tasks such as preparing invoices for payment
· Experience of working for an INGO
How to Apply:
All candidates should send an updated CV, salary history and a two-page supporting statement detailing how you meet the person specification to [email protected] including ‘Interim Senior Operations and Administration Officer ’ in the subject line.
Please DO NOT send additional documents such as certificates and references with your application. Successful candidates ONLY will be required to provide these documents during the referencing process.
Deadline: Tuesday 2nd February 2021 by 5:00pm (EAT)