Organization: Ministry of Health (MOH)
Funding Source: United States Government’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Project Name: Uganda Population Based HIV Impact Assessment (UPHIA) Survey
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Ministry of Health (MOH) in collaboration with ICAP at Columbia University received funding from the United States Government’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to implement the Uganda Population-based HIV Impact Assessment (UPHIA) survey. The goal of the survey is to characterize HIV prevalence, incidence, viral load, CD4+ cell distribution, and HIV risk behaviors at a household level nationally, and to assess the coverage and impact of HIV services at the population level using a nationally representative sample of adults and children. The survey aims to enroll approximately 13,000 households across the entire country over a period of at least 7 months.
In order to achieve the survey goals, survey teams being constituted will be deployed throughout the country to undertake various tasks and responsibilities, taking into consideration personnel skills and qualifications, and ability to read and write in English and at least one of the seven (7) major languages spoken in Uganda namely; Ateso, Ngakaramajong, Luganda, Lugbara, Luo, Runyakore-Rukiga, Runyoro-Rutoro.
Job Summary: The Ministry of Health seeks to recruit an Interviewer to conduct individual interviews to participants who are eligible and consent to the survey. As part of the Uganda Population Based HIV Impact Assessment (UPHIA) Survey), qualified Ugandans will be enlisted to conduct individual interviews to participants who are eligible and consent to the survey. UPHIA interviewers will be required to conduct quality interviews using hand held tablets.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collect all materials needed for fieldwork.
- Safely maintain the tablet and ensure that it is charged when needed.
- Taking responsibility for the safety and good condition of all materials and equipment under his/her care
- Approach participants as assigned by Team Leader.
- Conduct interview consent procedures using the tablet.
- Conduct individual interviews using the tablet.
- Conduct biomarker consent procedures using the tablet.
- Must be able to complete interviews on the tablets with accuracy and reasonable speed.
- Conduct all other survey activities including collection of informed consent and interviewing participants in accordance with the procedures described in the interviewers’ manual.
- Responding to any questions that individuals have about the survey
- Identify participants who are in need of referrals. Provides such participants with appropriate referrals by completing the relevant referral form.
- Storing and transmitting survey data electronically as indicated by survey procedures
- Inform the Team Leader of interviews completed and partially completed on a daily basis.
- Schedule return visits for any incomplete interviews.
- Any other duties as assigned from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Diploma or above in any relevant field.
- Ability to read and speak fluently in English and at least one main local language in the geographical areas where they are posted to work.
- Able to work with computers and tablets.
- Must have good organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Past experience working in large population surveys such as UPHIA, AIS and DHS
- Able to work on the program continuously for at least 7 months.
- Attend all technical trainings as outlined by survey Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Willingness and commitment to work away from home and travel continuously.
- Must be able to organize oneself and work independent of close supervision.
- Ability to adapt to local field conditions.
- Must be a team player.
- Must be available to attend didactic training starting in November 2019
- Must be able to start work by beginning of Jan 2020.
NB: Some interviewers may be assigned supervisory roles (regional supervisors and team leads) once the training period is complete.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates should apply online at the link below. Please take note of the following:
- Make sure your name is included in the application; and
- Prepare to upload your Cover Letter and CV in pdf.
Deadline: 6th October 2019 by 11:55 PM