Job Title: Logistics Officer
Organization: Relief International (RI)
Duty Station: Uganda
Relief International is an international nonprofit organization whose sole mission is to reduce human suffering. We respond to natural disasters, humanitarian emergencies and chronic poverty. Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Job Summary: The Logistics Officer will be responsible for daily management of Relief International’s (RI’s) operations in Uganda (Moyo district). S/he will ensure that all logistics are in place for smooth operation of RI’s static health clinics in Palorinya settlement. S/he will set up and ensure effective functioning of RI’s field office and accommodation quarters, in both Palorinya and Moyo Town. S/he will provide oversight of RI’s medical storage warehouse, and transit of medicines and supplies to clinics. S/he will be responsible for procurement, fleet management, security personnel, and other relevant areas of operations. S/he will liaise with the District Logistics Officer, UNHCR, and other relevant stakeholders as needed.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Set up offices and staff residences in Palorinya and Moyo Town
- Facilitate and oversee any construction related to Palorinya staff residence, including fencing, latrines, cooking areas, electric lines, etc.
- Ensure all staff residences and offices are equipped with essential furniture, basic supplies, and equipment, in accordance with budgets and in coordination with Team Leader.
- Line-manage guards, cooks and cleaners in the offices and guest houses.
- Supervises casual labour force.
- Continually review and identify any operational gaps affecting office, staff residence, and clinics.
- Ensures that all RI compounds are always clean, and ensure all equipment is properly maintained
- Ensure uninterrupted water supply to Palorinya compound (office and residence), and chlorination of water
- Prepare all administrative documents such as internal notes, regulation etc
- Ensure that all safety and security equipment such as fire extinguishers and first aid kits are properly distributed and marked at RI compounds, up-to-date and replenished.
- Coordinates with team leader that all needed supplies for RI compounds are available and procured in timely manner.
- Manage the fleet, ensuring that vehicles and ambulances are operational, fuelled, and maintained.
- Review and update vehicle usage and initiate a harmonised vehicle transport system.
- Ensure that vehicle and generator running mileage are recoded on regular basis.
- Reinforce RI standard procedures and the quality of RI internal controls
- Take lead on establishing service contracts for office supplies, fuel and in-country transportation
- Carry out market assessments and maintain supplier database.
- Organize and manage procurement according to planning and in line with RI standards/procedures
- Check reception of goods according to quality and quantity, and communicate to program or Warehouse Manager accordingly.
- Plan and prioritize daily procurement, in coordination with Team Leader and Medical Coordinator.
- Complete all requisite procurement documents (Requisitions, Quotations, GRN, Invoices, Payment Authorizations).
- Process supplier payments, ensuring all paper work is properly and promptly completed
- Procure items based on purchase requisitions initiated by program staff.
Equipment and Asset management:
- Ensure the safety and effective use of all RI assets and property
- Ensure maintenance and repairs of RI assets and property
- Maintain an asset register, ensuring that all assets are properly logged. Update the inventory database every time when asset movement is made.
- Ensure assets purchased locally are tagged and properly recorded in the database. Ensure hard copies of assets’ permanent allocations are kept on file.
- Monitor the usage of RI assets and record any depreciation.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Relief International Logistics Officer job placement should preferably hold a Bachelor’s degree/ Diploma in relevant field with extensive experience in Logistics and procurement.
- At least five years of logistics, procurement, supply chain experience, previous experience working with INGOs an added advantage
- Excellent interpersonal skills, diplomacy and proven ability to negotiate with a wide range of people (internally and externally)
- Strong supervision and people management skills
- Excellent communication skills – both verbal and written.
- Cultural sensitivity and ability to adapt to the complex and stressful working conditions of the area of operations
- High-level knowledge and practice with Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Excellent written and spoken English required
How to Apply:
The applicant must send an application which must include:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Letter of Interest (application cover letter)
- Photocopies of documents showing your credentials/qualifications for this position, if applicable
Address your application to: Country Director, Uganda
Please drop your applications in a sealed envelope, stating the position you are applying for to:
Relief International Office, Vura Madulu, Moyo Town Council, P.O Box 152
Itula Sub County,
Dongo Center Relief International Compound.
Email to: UgandaRecruitment@ri.org (you must indicate the position in the subject line of email)
Deadline: 3rd May 2018