Job Title: Programme Assistant (Gulu)
Organisation: Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR)
Duty Station: Gulu, Uganda
Reports to: Deputy Representative
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) represents the world’s commitment to universal ideals of human dignity. We have a unique mandate from the international community to promote and protect all human rights. The High Commissioner for Human Rights is the principal human rights official of the United Nations. The High Commissioner heads OHCHR and spearheads the United Nations’ human rights efforts. We offer leadership, work objectively, educate and take action to empower individuals and assist States in upholding human rights.
Job Summary: The Programme Assistant provides programme support services ensuring quality, accuracy and consistency of work. The programme Assistant works in close cooperation with other OHCHR staff to exchange information and to support programme delivery.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Substantive support to the implementation of the OHCHR country programme through:
- Render support in the collection, analysis and reporting on human rights information
- Assist in designing monitoring tools, indicators and collecting data
- Participate with Human Rights Officers in discussions with relevant Uganda authorities, opposition groups, civil society and other stakeholders for the purpose of information-gathering, advocacy and capacity-building
- Record cases of human rights violations in the OHCHR database
- Monitor trends of human rights violation on print and electronic media
- Support reporting activities on donor contributions
- Contribute to regular report on activities
Support specific OHCHR country programme activities relating to training and advocacy:
- Responsible for the organization and administrative arrangements of training activities and workshops.
- Identify, develop and prepare necessary information, advocacy and training materials.
Records and archives Management:
- Provide advisory services to programme staff with the management of files
- Establish a system for maintaining sensitive records of OHCHR
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) Programme Assistant job opportunity should have completed Secondary Education – preferably with specialized certification in Programming or monitoring and evaluation
- A minimum of five years of relevant experience (programmatic and administrative) at the national or international level, preferably in the field of social sciences, human rights and development.
- Previous experience in the use of computers and office software (MS Word, Excel and Power point) and in handling of web based information systems.
- Language: Fluency in English, with good communications skills and drafting ability.
- Professionalism: Ability to implement administrative policies/principles, preferably related to project/programme implementation. Affinity with budgeting and accounting. Knowledge of UN activities preferable. Conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Calm in stressful situations.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals, supports and acts in accordance with the final group decision, solicits input by genuinely valuing other’s ideas and expertise, is willing to learn from others. Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively, listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience, demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Planning and organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources.
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 1st March 2018