Job Title: Senior Field Assistant
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Position No.: 10027132
Vacancy Notice: 050/2018
Duty Station: Uganda
Reports to: Senior Field Officer/Associate
Position Grade: G5
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Senior Field Assistant performs a variety of functions related to Field activities within the office. The supervisor defines work processes and provides regular advice and guidance. The incumbent keeps frequent internal contacts with staff members in the same duty station to exchange information and with the external contacts generally with officials of national and international institutions, leaders of the refugee community, local population and/or Implementing Partners (IPs) on routine subject matters under the direction of the supervisor.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide support in monitoring the implementation of UNHCR programme including the delivery of all assistance items and monitoring of infrastructure.
- Assist in administrative tasks as required such as preparation of reports and meeting authorized personnel and assisting them during field missions.
- Act as interpreter in the exchange of routine information, contribute to related liaison activities and respond directly to routine queries.
- Collect data and other information relevant to UNHCR and report to the supervisor accordingly.
- Keep regular contacts with local authorities and implementing partners as requested by supervisor
- Work in close coordination with implementing partners, assist in the reception, registration and provision of assistance to persons of concern to UNHCR
- Follow up, on a regular basis, the overall situation of persons of concern in camps and other areas where they have been accommodated and report accordingly
- Perform any other relevant duties as required.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Liaise with local authority counterparts, partners and populations of concern.
- Direct incidents and problems to the supervisor when they cannot be resolved at their level.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNHCR Senior Field Assistant job opportunity should have completed secondary school with post-secondary training/certificate in Business Administration, Law, Political Science or related field.
- At least five years of previous job experience relevant to the function.
- Computer skills
- Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 28th October 2018