Job Title: Senior Supply Associate
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Position No.: 10027119
Vacancy Notice: 003/2018
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Post Grade: GL7
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Senior Supply Associate will manage and support all activities pertaining to the supply chain function including planning, sourcing, transport, shipping, customs clearance and warehousing management in the operation. The incumbent will maintain regular contact on a working level on routine issues with other UNHCR offices, UN agencies, NGOs, government partners and commercial contractors in the area to facilitate the operation. The duty of the incumbent is to support and monitor the management of material resources within the geographical area covered by the office while exercising efficiency in the use of those resources
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare plans for delivery of relief items according to operational needs.
- Apply UNHCR’s procurement strategy when planning for purchase of important commodities and services.
- The incumbent will ensure timely customs clearance of consignments.
- Manage storage of goods according to best practices and UNHCR rules and regulations.
- Coordinate transportation and distribution of relief items.
- Maintain an efficient system for the release, distribution and redeployment of goods.
- Prepare logistical plans, implement supply operations and provide information on the status of requests and the availability of items in the supply chain.
- Coordinate activities of implementing partners and/or contractors performing supply related activities, and ensure that they understand and adhere to relevant UNHCR rules and procedures.
- Maintain accurate and comprehensive records on logistical activities and provide timely reports and updates both periodically and on request.
- Through regular physical verification of PPE establish their status.
- Purpose old and obsolete PPE for disposal and plan for arrival of replacement items.
- Evaluate purchase requisitions to ensure that specifications, delivery dates and all other requirements are in order.
- The incumbent will also draft and dispatch quotation requests and/or tenders, assist in the evaluation of offers and draft bid-tabulations and prepare proposals for award of contracts to the Committee on Contracts.
- Prepare Purchase Orders and send confirmations, requests for inspection and other correspondence.
- Regularly monitor the manufacture/transport of ordered goods to ensure timely delivery. Provide guidance and advice on UNHCR procurement policies and procedures to support and assist requesting sections.
- Implement effective asset and fleet management that regularly monitors the asset/fleet pool, saves cost and safeguards the investment of the organisation including receipt, inspection, registration & marking of new Property, Plant and Equipment (PPE), and organisation of the physical verification of PPE.
- Ensure that PPE agreements are properly issued and signed.
- Ensure proper preparation of disposal forms and cases for the Asset Management Board.
- Organise the disposal of PPE according to Asset Management Board decisions. Provides asset management reports, customised reports, and gathers information on all assets and provides in-depth reports periodically and when requested.
- Adapt local supply chain structures to be consistent with the operational needs.
- Ensure effective information flow in the supply chain and adapt local process to the prevailing environment.
- Monitor the quality and accuracy of supply chain related data in relevant business systems.
- Compile and analyse statistical information, identify trends and developments in supply chain related matters that will assist in decision making.
- Disseminate, promote commitment to and monitor compliance with UNHCR global policies, standards and guidance on supply chain management.
- Any other responsibility deemed necessary or as delegated by the Head of Supply Management Service in order to meet the level of service required by the organisation
Key Performance Indicators:
- UNHCR delivers timely and quality goods and services to persons of concern in compliance with supply chain rules and procedures.
- Effective local support is provided to UNHCR supply chain to develop an infrastructure that accommodates the needs of its operation.
- Local liaison with partners effectively supports supply activities.
- Identify, assess and select vendors based on their capability for delivering commodities and services. Maintain vendor and item master databases.
- Guide senior management on resources allocation to support on-going operations.
- Determine shipment methods, routes and delivery schedules to meet demand in the most timely manner.
- Enforce compliance of supervised staff with relevant UNHCR regulations, rules and procedures and appraise their performance
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations Senior Supply Associate career opportunity should have completed secondary school education with post-secondary training/certificate in Commerce, Business Administration, Economics, Marketing or a related field.
- At least eleven years of previous relevant professional job experience.
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position such as the Supply Chain Learning Programme (SCLP).
- Other UN procurement and logistics training such as IAPSO and UNPD -Knowledge and working experience of PeopleSoft MSRP Supply Chain applications
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 26th February, 2018