Organization: Civil Aviation Authority (CAA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Job Ref: CAA/ADV/EXT/04/2017
Reports to: Principal Transport & Maintenance Officer
Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) is a corporate body responsible for the regulation of Civil Aviation in Uganda. It manages Entebbe International Airport and 13 other aerodromes upcountry. CAA carries out its work in conformity with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPS).
Job Summary: The Senior Transport Officer supports the Principal Transport & Maintenance Officer to manage and monitor, in the most efficient and effective manner, the operation and running of CAA vehicles.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Plan for proper movement of vehicles:
- Schedules movement of pool vehicles to cover various needs of CAA and to ensure there is always a -reliever on standby.
- Plan vehicles movement to ensure no CAA duties are unattended due to lack of transport.
- Ensures the schedule covers for the vehicles which are in CAA garage.
Programme all matters related to repairs and maintenance of vehicles:
- Schedule programmes for CAA vehicles in the workshop to avoid congestion or irregular flow of vehicles into the workshop.
- Inform the drivers in advance when their maintenance falls due.
- The jobholder will timeously informs drivers of their respective vehicle maintenance dates and arranges for alternative, vehicles where appropriate and possible.
- Ensures corrective maintenance (scheduled) is handled in good time to reduce vehicles down time
- Ensures outsourcing of repairs, which require specialized equipment on advice of the mechanics and after relevant approval.
Supervise staff in the section:
- Allocates duties to staff and ensure their completion.
- The incumbent will motivate staff through reward and feedback.
- Ensures that staff adhere to CAA rules and regulations.
Manage licensing and registration of vehicles:
- Monitors expiry of license and, registration by drawing a license- registration schedule indicating expiry date for each vehicle.
- Updates the schedules to include and exclude purchase and disposal of vehicles respectively,
Handle all matters regarding motor accidents:
- Manages motor vehicle accident by following the laid down lawful procedures in the Traffic Act:
- Reports to the police Obtains the police abstract
- Receives a written report from the driver involved giving accident details. The report to be copied to Corporate Secretary and HRM.
- Informs the insurance and produces the required documents: Driver’s license, Insurance claim form duly filled and Police abstract.
Make reports on vehicle status and mechanical conditions.
- Conducts vehicle inspection using CAA inspection form to check on vehicle’s general conditions and accessories, e.g. dents wheels, jack, mirrors etc.
- Replaces lost accessories and arranges for recoveries from employee’s salary by raising payroll advice note attaching receipts.
Handle disciplinary matters in the section:
- Records and investigates the disciplinary cases in the section.
- Reports on the investigation’s outcome and forwards to HRM for -disciplinary action.
Preparation of the section’s budget: Gives required data input for the preparation of the budget.
Make reports on garage bills:
- Compiles and analyses garage bills levied to the respective department (cost centre).
- Prepares monthly report of garage bills on the respective vehicles and cost centre.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicants for the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) Senior Transport Officer job opportunity should hold an honours Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration
- A diploma in Transport Management
- Chartered Institute of Transport Certificate with a Higher Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
- Holds a Certificate in Supervisory Skills,
- Holds a Certificate in Customer Service
- A minimum of five years of relevant working experience, three of which at officer level, in a big organization with a large vehicle fleet.
- Computer literacy skills i.e. proficiency in Ms Word and Ms Excel
- Proven Human Resource and third party relation skills.
- Age: Between 35 to 45 years
NB: Should be a person of very high and unquestionable integrity and needless to emphasize any reported cases of questionable integrity both before and after interview as well as post appointment will lead to his/her cancellation from the process or termination of Employment.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who desire to join the aviation industry should send their hand-written applications with detailed CV and copies of academic certificates plus transcripts with the Job reference number clearly marked at the top left hand corner of the envelope should be sent to the address below. Please indicate your (day time) phone contact.
The Director, Human Resource and Administration,
Civil Aviation Authority (Head Office),
P.O. BOX 5536, Kampala, Uganda.
Deadline: 25th August 2017 by 5:00 PM