Job Title: Communications Officer
UNHCO is a Non-Governmental Organization formed in 1999 whose main goal is to improve the quality of life of all people in Uganda through a rights-based approach. UNHCO has received funding from Sida through the Swedish Embassy in Kampala for the 2nd phase of the Maternal Health Project (MHP) which is being implemented in 8 districts. The goal of the project is to contribute to the reduction of maternal and newborn mortality in Uganda.
Job Summary: The Communications Officer will be responsible for learning and sharing, documentation and dissemination of MHP work.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Offer timely technical support to MHP and UNHCO communications work. This role involves development of the project’s communications strategy and work plan in line with the UNHCO strategic plan and in consultation with the IPs.
- In charge of the documentation of success stories and lessons gathered from the field and from national level implementation experiences, development and dissemination of specific communications products, ensuring liaison with IPs.
- Technically support the MHP Project Officer to document and disseminate MHP project experiences to different stakeholders through various media (writing, editing, videography, photography and preparation of media briefs and organizing media events).
- Work closely with the Project and Advocacy Officers to package high impact information materials for effective advocacy.
- Prepare and ensure quality assurance of communication narrative reports
- Build capacity of implementing partners in communication and .documentation.
- Manage the UNHCO website and provide ICT support to all MHP staff in line with UNHCO guidelines and IT principles.
- Ensure an established relationship with key media houses in Uganda and effective media coverage of UNHCO and MHP’s activities and events.
- The incumbent will be tasked to increase visibility of MHP and UNHCO through utilization of media opportunities and innovative social media tools like Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter etc.
- Support resource mobilisation/proposal writing.
- Perform any other project assignments as may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The Communications Officer should hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Mass Communication or ICT. Possession of a master’s qualification in the relevant field
- A minimum of three or more years’ experience in managing communication work in an NGO setting
- Past experience of working on sexual and reproductive health rights, experience of radio and TV/video communications an added advantage.
- Skills in writing and editing and generation of quality print media;
- Skills in managing and interacting with people of varying characters and dynamics
- Possess strong organisational, interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent analytical skills
- Computer proficiency i.e. Advanced user of computers and other IT tools to effectively communicate, including use of websites and other internet media,
- Ability to work under pressure with limited supervision, pays attention to detail, strong team player with the ability to manage disputes, result oriented
- Excellent command of both spoken and written English.
How to Apply for the job:
All candidates are encouraged to send their applications by indicating job title on the right hand corner of the envelope and hand deliver hard copies of cover letter, CV with three referees, daytime telephone contacts and salary expectations to:
The Executive Director,
Uganda National Health Users/ Consumers’ Organisation,
Plot 91 Bukoto Street, Kamwokya. Kampala. Uganda
Tel: 0414 532123
Deadline: 31st March, 2015 by 11am